Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

change wordpress blog that integrates bbpress

• I have a wordpress blog that integrates with bbpress well. I would like to integrate the bbpress with a different wordpress blog. The problem I had is that when I created the users in the new blog (I did manually b/c it seemed easiest with 40members) and then completed the integration it messed all the old forum posts up.

I assume that there is an identifier or id number in the user table that is used that got changed when I manually created the new user accounts?

How can I go about making this new blog integrate without losing the user to post relationship?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You should have just linked the tables.

Are you saying that your original WP table is messed up?

If you have a backup, just restore that particular table and link the tables.

Linking tables mean telling the new WordPress to use a different user table.

actually i just integrated the forum to the old wordpress blog and it is back to normal. i guess i do want the old user table to be used for my new blog… can you point me in the direction of instructions on how to do that?

what happens to the new blogs user table?

the new blog tables is just left as it is, you can delete that if you want.

you can even specify the user tables to be used while installing.

this is how it is done in wp-config.php

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE','new_user_table');
    define('CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLE', 'new_usermeta_table');

those two lines should be in that WP whose user tables you want to change.

like my initial has a wp_ prefix, then in the new installation, which has something different (lets say wp1_ or anything), put the lines in wp-config.php

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE','wp_users');
    define('CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLE', 'wp_usermeta');

thanks, that actually makes sense. my question now is that both of my blogs have the “wp_” prefix. i think that saying “new” is misleading.

both blogs are fairly established, so i’m not sure what would happen if i changed the wp_prefix? there are already 100’s of posts on that blog and while i’m trying to transfer the users from one blog to another, i’d rather not lose the posts/pages

so.. i guess what i’m looking at is that the user tables are named the same thing b/c i just used the normal wp set up, but they sit on different databases. i’m wondering if just naming the user_table will work?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar