Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cannot upgrade from 0.9.2 when using non-default table prefix

• I’m attempting to do an upgrade of bbPress from 0.9.2 and get the following error every time I attempt to access any bbPress pages:

ERROR: Could not establish a database connection

I did some experimenting and found that when I change the table prefix from the one I’ve been using back to the default of bb_, I’m prompted to perform a new installation. The problem with this is that I don’t want to lose the existing contents of the forum.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Checking the database connection does not involve checking the table prefix. It’s just host, username, password and database name. No tables needed to establish a connection. You have something else going on there, I would guess.

Well, I’m open to suggestions. As I noted, changing the table prefix determined whether or not it works. It’s not logical, but it is what it is.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You could rename the tables with the prefix that works, to get around this. But you’d have to update the data in the tables as well, I think there are permissions maybe that refer to the table by name.

Or, you could further troubleshoot connecting to that database and selecting data from the tables with the prefix you currently use.

I’ve not heard of that problem before, but there probably aren’t many people who upgraded from .9 to 1.0 AND had a custom table prefix. The fact that it wants to perform a new installation when the bb_ tables don’t exist makes sense, since bbPress does not know there is a current installation.

I haven’t looked at the upgrade code to see if maybe there’s a bug where the database connection fails due to a non-default table prefix, but you could check that as well.

Yes, I am with Chris. Something else is causing the issue.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar