Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Standalone to Plugin Converter Beta 2

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Hello folks,

I along with Ben L. aka Nightgunner5, have created a bbPress standalone to plugin converter which already does a good job converting your bbPress forums.

To use it, upload the file bbs2p.php to your server. Now let us assume that / is the place where you have placed the script, /blog/ is the WordPress directory and /forum/ is the bbPress standalone directory. So, you would edit bbs2p.php, scroll down to line 36 and change

define( 'BBS2P_WP_PATH', '' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */
    define( 'BBS2P_BB_PATH', '../forum/' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */

To:

define( 'BBS2P_WP_PATH', 'blog/' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */
    define( 'BBS2P_BB_PATH', 'forum/' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */

Similarly, if you have script and WordPress blog in / and the forum in /forums/, then change those lines to:

define( 'BBS2P_WP_PATH', '' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */
    define( 'BBS2P_BB_PATH', 'forums/' ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */

Then run the script and the converter would guide you. Some points to note:

• Needless to mention, if it isn’t your test run, please have a backup. We cannot be held responsible for any data loss.
    • Run it on your localhost as the converter is heavy.
    • Supports the Subscribe to Topic plugin by _ck_ and bbPress 1.1 alpha+ subscriptions import too. Have that plugin activated if you want to migrate subscriptions from the plugin, else it will check for the alpha version.
    • Have the bbPress plugin activated, revert to default themes and disable any other plugins.
    • Currently, there are three situations:

1. You have a new WordPress blog, to which you are migrating to and an established forum. Then, you would go to user migration section first and then proceed to forums, topics, posts migration section. In this process, all your WordPress users would be deleted (well, renamed to another table) and in place of those, bbPress users would be added. A keymaster will be WP admin, bb admin and moderator will be bbPress plugin moderators, rest all would be converted to the default WP role (which can be set in your WordPress settings).
      2. Your WordPress and bbPress user tables are integrated. You don’t need the user migration process and you can directly go to forums, topics, posts migration section. No worries.
      3. You have a established WordPress blog, with a good number of users and can’t afford to lose those. This is currently not supported as it is hard to merge two conflicting user sets.

• After converting, do recounts, delete the script and delete the bbPress standalone section if not needed.

Download: http://code.google.com/p/bbpress-standalone-to-plugin/downloads/detail?name=bbs2p-beta2.zip

Cheers! Hope that helps. :-)

Regards,

Ben L. & Gautam G.

bbPress Geeks

ps. Special thanks to John James J. for developing the bbPress plugin, without which, of course, this converter wouldn’t have been there. :P

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

I’ve try in my local machine.

After first run (user convention) it caused an error and table remain with *_tmp in name (now i not remember specific error – tomorrow i’ll try to run again and publish more detail).

Instead if i go directly to forum all seems to be converted (no error) but all topics (first post) is empty and to see i need to save again (forum and topic – otherwise i can’t see – yes, i’ve run recount but problem still remain). Finally, all category results like a “forum” (and all forums like child forum).

If you glad tomorrow (sorry but now i can’t) i can provide localserver access and you can try directly ;)

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

I’ve try in my local machine.

After first run (user convention) it caused an error and table remain with *_tmp in name (now i not remember specific error – tomorrow i’ll try to run again and publish more detail).

Instead if i go directly to forum all seems to be converted (no error) but all topics (first post) is empty and to see i need to save again (forum and topic – otherwise i can’t see – yes, i’ve run recount but problem still remain). Finally, all category results like a “forum” (and all forums like child forum).

If you glad tomorrow (sorry but now i can’t) i can provide localserver access and you can try directly ;)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

DarkWolf: That error would only happen when you run it multiple times and the database table already exists or your database user doesn’t have privileges to rename a table. The converter does tell you to take precautionary measures.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

DarkWolf: That error would only happen when you run it multiple times and the database table already exists or your database user doesn’t have privileges to rename a table. The converter does tell you to take precautionary measures.

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

To be honestly i’ve try just one time with root privilege (local webserver – with wampserver) but maybe is caused by different database.

I can try to move in one database and run again ;)

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

To be honestly i’ve try just one time with root privilege (local webserver – with wampserver) but maybe is caused by different database.

I can try to move in one database and run again ;)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Right, multiple databases are not supported. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Right, multiple databases are not supported. :)

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Will this plugin also cover the BuddyPress (1.2) -> bbPress Plugin conversion? This is the set-up I’m ready to help test extensively, so give us a shout when it’s on the table.

And guys, thanks a lot for taking this development upon you.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Will this plugin also cover the BuddyPress (1.2) -> bbPress Plugin conversion? This is the set-up I’m ready to help test extensively, so give us a shout when it’s on the table.

And guys, thanks a lot for taking this development upon you.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Erlend: As BuddyPress installs bbPress standalone with only a few tweaks, I think it would be very much possible to convert the BuddyPress bbPress forums too. Just point it to its directory. ;)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Erlend: As BuddyPress installs bbPress standalone with only a few tweaks, I think it would be very much possible to convert the BuddyPress bbPress forums too. Just point it to its directory. ;)

During migration something is missing, the permalinks in replies contains the original title, which makes them unusable.

I tried running a mass edit on all replies but that did not work. strangely, only when editing a reply manually did it work.

During migration something is missing, the permalinks in replies contains the original title, which makes them unusable.

I tried running a mass edit on all replies but that did not work. strangely, only when editing a reply manually did it work.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Decided to stick this topic to the front so it doesn’t get lost and hopefully gets more traction. Would *love* to see this get turned into a plugin on the WordPress side to help move the data around. That would also put it one step closer to inclusion into bbPress core.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Decided to stick this topic to the front so it doesn’t get lost and hopefully gets more traction. Would *love* to see this get turned into a plugin on the WordPress side to help move the data around. That would also put it one step closer to inclusion into bbPress core.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

jonkristian: Will take a look into that, worked for me though.

JJJ: I’ll give that a shot. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

jonkristian: Will take a look into that, worked for me though.

JJJ: I’ll give that a shot. :)

I am going to try and see if this works and need some guidance for the paths to input into the file.

I do have WP in the root directory.

I have bbpress standalone in /forums

I do also have buddpress integrated into bbpress with the group forums working.

First is that all going to cause me great pain or is this going to be a painless thing to run?

I appreciate your hardwork and help.

Thank you.

I am going to try and see if this works and need some guidance for the paths to input into the file.

I do have WP in the root directory.

I have bbpress standalone in /forums

I do also have buddpress integrated into bbpress with the group forums working.

First is that all going to cause me great pain or is this going to be a painless thing to run?

I appreciate your hardwork and help.

Thank you.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Under normal circumstances, it should be absolutely painless. I’d recommend running it on your localhost or at least have a backup of the whole database. Also, I’d recommend you to use the latest version, you’d have to copy paste or checkout the file – I haven’t zipped and uploaded it as an archive yet.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Under normal circumstances, it should be absolutely painless. I’d recommend running it on your localhost or at least have a backup of the whole database. Also, I’d recommend you to use the latest version, you’d have to copy paste or checkout the file – I haven’t zipped and uploaded it as an archive yet.

can you give me the dummy version of what I need to change in the two places you mentioned?

I thought I did it correctly and tried running the script. What I got was a page of errors and notices. Referencing a few plugins and some other WP files. Way to long to paste here and probably irrelevant to the converter itself.

Where is the file need to be saved and run from?

And then the other changes to it prior to running?

If I get this working I will write a novel on taking a vbulletin site to wordpress with bbpress. It will be long and partially a nightmare story with happy ending!

Thank you for your help.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar