bbPress Plugin (1.2) and vBulletin Migration
I have a WP project with a well-established vBulletin forum which I would, in a perfect world, pull into bbPress/BuddyPress to tightly integrate with WP. I am not asking for a vBulletin importer for bbPress 1.2. I know that is a beast that is probably not worth slaying at the moment for Automattic.
With this frame of reference, I have a few questions re: bbPress 1.2 (the plugin). I have done some searching on these forums and have not found answers yet. If they exist, please point me to them.
- I assume 1.2 will cleanly upgrade from previous versions of bbPress. However, reading some of @jjj‘s posts, it looks like 1.2 may function more like a CPT plugin where everything is stored in the posts table. Is this the case? If so, will a clean migration from prior versions be possible?
- Assuming this clean upgrades are part of 1.2, would it be safe to say that following (and improving upon) some of the more cumbersome vBulletin -> bbPress migration paths (link below) would still work?
- Much has been made about how the bbPress used in BuddyPress is not really inline with the core bbPress code. Given it’s apparent design direction, is it safe to say that the 1.2 and the BuddyPress forums will effectively merge and become one code base, whether or not BuddyPress is active? If not, how will they differ?
- Are there any other glaring roadblocks to vBulletin migration that I am simply not seeing?
I am considering writing (or more likely funding the development of) a vBulletin importer script for bbPress 1.2. If I decide to go that route, I plan to give the importer back to the community. So, the goal of these questions is to help me gauge the feasibility and scope of such a project.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.