Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPRESS on my USB webserver!

• Hello,

I have this nifty USB Webserver (which I can run on the computer too from hard disk), to try out forums, blogs, and more.

Now I stumbled across this BBPRESS, and this looked exactly like the thing I need!

However! for some reason I can’t install it, and I have been searching through the forums allready, but i don’t have a lot of time today to search through the forums for hours.

So here’s my problem, I get the dreafull “can’t select DB” error.

I have no password on my mysql, as its just an standallone webserver which only I, the one behind this laptop, can access, and so it does not require a password.

To access my webserver by a browser, I type in “http://localhost:8080”, it uses port 8080 to make sure it doesn’t conflict with 80.

Anyways, i’ve read a lot of sollutions on how to correct the problem, but for some reason I just can’t seem to solve this! maybe i’m wanting to go too fast, or perhaps I just overlook one tiny thing.

But its getting a little annoying after a few hours.

So that’s why I need help.

This is the first part of config.php which I needed to fill in.

<?php

// ** MySQL settings ** //

define(‘BBDB_NAME’, ‘bbpress’); // The name of the database

define(‘BBDB_USER’, ‘root’); // Your MySQL username

define(‘BBDB_PASSWORD’, ”); // …and password

define(‘BBDB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); // 99% chance you won’t need to change this value

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!

// The full URL of your bbPress install

$bb->uri = ‘http://localhost:8080/bbpress&#8217;;

// What are you going to call me?

$bb->name = ‘Test website’;

// This must be set before you run the install script.

$bb->admin_email = ‘enigmatic@live.nl’;

// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks, set to ‘slugs’ if you want to use slug based pretty permalinks.

$bb->mod_rewrite = false;

// The number of topics that show on each page.

$bb->page_topics = 30;

// A user can edit a post for this many minutes after submitting.

$bb->edit_lock = 60;

// Your timezone offset. Example: -7 for Pacific Daylight Time.

$bb->gmt_offset = 0;

So with “define(‘BBDB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); // 99% chance you won’t need to change this value”, I allready changed it a few times to “bbpress.localhost” or “localost.bbpress” as said in another topic, I tried a lot of things, but to no avail.

I seriously need help, before i’m going to cry :'(

I kid I kid, but help is apreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • This problem sounds very familiar. You will have to excuse me, for it’s been a long while since I’ve toyed with bbpress…. BUT i’m pretty sure when I experienced this same problem, it was related to the password. I too had it blank, but for some reason the setup process doesn’t like “blank” passwords.

I would suggest maybe creating a SQL user, with a password, and see if that resolves your problem.

Can’t select database means your database details are wrong. It could be anything. Have you got any other applications that need database access? What did you use there?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar