Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress installed fine ……..but doesn't show up

• I have a brand new wordpress site. I have successfully (?) installed bbPress, and created my forums just like in the instructions. When I go to my site, the bbPress forums do not show up. I do not have any pages named “forum”, although I tried making one to see if that would help and it didn’t, so I deleted it.

I can see it on the dashboard. I can configure it. I just cant see it from the website.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone out there?

I have deleted all my forums. Deactivated bbPress. Re-activated bbPress. Created a new formum. It is an Open, Public, Forum.

When I go to the home page, there is no item in the menu to take me to the forum.

What am I missing?

Anyone?

First reset you permalinks by going to Settings > Permalinks. (after you activated bbP of course)

Once that is done try going to yoursite.com/forums/ (this is created for you, no page is needed)

I followed your instructions. Permalinks are set to Default. When I go to the /forums/ url, I get a 404 error page.

OK, here’s progress. I changed the permalinks from DEFAULT to POST NAME, and using the /forums/ url brought up my forum.

So, how do I get the WP menu to have Forums in it so my users know that it is there?

Add it in your menu. Appearance > Menus.

Fantastic! Thank you. Now all I need to do is get the font size reduced in the Forum area and I’m set.

Is there an easy place to do that?

This is what it looks like right now. Now very pretty.:

http://www.scc4911.org/forums/forum/forums/union-business/

OK, I can access my forum page from the menus now, but even though my forums are set to PRIVATE, the menu lets any web user access to the forum area. How do I set up the menu item to PRIVATE?

If you want to hide the menu item completely from non-logged in members there is no easy way to do that using the WordPress menu system except using CSS.

I have it working much better now.

I have it so that a visitor can see the home page and all of the menu items. Thats fine.

I have set some of the items on the menu to PRIVATE, so they should not be able to access those areas without being logged on.

When they hit my “discussions” item on the menu, they get a message that says “Oh bother! No forums were found here!.

Is there a way to give them a message that says “You must log on to access this area” instead?

http://www.scc4911.org

Thanks,

Jim

Same thing goes for my “CALENDAR” page. I have it set to PRIVATE. When a visitor hits the CALENDAR menu item, I get:

This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?

It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching, or one of the links below, can help.

How do I get it to just tell the user “You have to log on to see this” ?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hi Jim – If it’s not bbPress related, you probably won’t get much help here.

Also, 10 hours is not a long enough period of time to bump your topic. These forums don’t see much traffic and the staff is volunteer only. When someone that can help you wants to, they will. If they can’t, they won’t.

bbPress looks like it’s fitting into your TwentyEleven theme nicely.

Thanks. As you may have guessed I’m new here.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

No sweat. Happy to have you around. :)

Ok, I have BBPress working fairly well with one exception. I’m using WordPress Access Control and WP-Members to limit user access. My website is a completely closed, member-only site for my employee group. However, the BB Press forums appear on the main menu to unregistered visitors, unlike everything else that remains invisible until I validate them. How do I get BB Press to remain hidden until my users get bumped p in status?

Is there a way to have BB Press totally accessed via a page, so that I can control the page the same way I control other pages?

ryan a
    Participant

@ryan-a

My forum is created

Permalinks set to post name

Tried to add a new menu in the appearance tab

Still cant see my forum on the website.

Suggestions?

UPDATE**

Never mind, I figured out how to properly create a menu in the appearance tab.

Is this topic resolved? I was ready to help, seeing that it was marked “Not resolved”, but it seems you have fixed your problem. If you think you’re ready, mark this topic as “Resolved”.

Gailley
    Participant

@gailley

Hey guys, it took me quite hours to figure out what’s wrong the forum won’t show up in the Edit Menu. I solved my problem by going to Screen Options on the upper right of your dasboard, and check the box before “forum”. Hope this helps! Happy blogging!

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar