Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.6 Release Candidate 3

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hey everyone! Guess what?

bbPress 2.6, Release Candidate 3, is now available for testing.

Download it from here: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.2.6-rc-3.zip

Why is this cool? For starters, @jeffr0 may finally climb down off my back and stop giving me grief for how long it’s been since we shipped a major release.

bbPress 2.5.0 in 2014, 3 years ago.

Most people wouldn’t be proud to say that, but… I am. The 2.5 branch of bbPress has been so stable & well received, we were able to take our time with 2.6 and double-down on upstream improvements to WordPress.

bbPress 2.6 will come with:

* Per-forum moderators
    * Improved favorites & subscriptions management
    * Improved BuddyPress integration
    * Performance improvements across the board
    * UX improvements to meta-boxes and admin-area tools
    * Tighter integration with WordPress’s Dashboard
    * Template tweaks & clean-up
    * About 110 other things

If you’re going to test 2.6 on a live site, maybe don’t just yet. It runs a database upgrade routine to migrate favorites & subscriptions from usermeta to postmeta, and for large forums that may take a while or possibly lock things up for a bit.

We are already running 2.6 here and on bbPress.org, so enjoy the speedier new posting experience, and we’ll let you know when the next beta is ready!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)

• mth75
    Participant

@mth75

No thx, I started to love BBPress after some time 🙂 …

It’s not giving them moderation capabilities indeed. No popup in my env., only a textfield.I will start by disabling plugins, see if one is causing the problem.

Another small (or big issue 🙂 ).

When a topic or reply is viewed in the backend (edited) uploaded images are kind of big.

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

It seems that the shortcode: [bbp-topic-index] (which I use as the landing page on my forum and in a few navigation tabs) isn’t working in my 2 test environment installs. Could this be confirmed?

Confirming the Permalinks (settings) solves the issue in both env.

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby

In the meantime I migrated the second beta to my live site, http://www.starry-night.nl

I noticed (after the migration) that trashing a topic WITHOUT replies leads to my WP: Not Found page. So the handling could be improved there (or a bug entered the code).

When trashing a topic with replies BBPress jumps to what looks my first topic (BBPress) entries.

All and all, very nice upgrade, I can’t say the BBPress runs real faster (yet).

sally
    Participant

@sallyruchman

Hello,

i installed BBpress 2.6 Beta 2 today. I was wondering if i have to activate somehow the functionality https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/allow-participants-to-trash-own-topics-and-posts/

Thx
    Regards
    Sally

tjl2017
    Participant

@tjl2017

Hi Guys,

Is there likely to be a lot of change for frontend classes etc?

Further, is there an ETA for a ‘stable’ release?

Thanks.

Oleksandr Kramer
    Participant

@alexkramer

A little problem with favorite and subscribe buttons in Bbpress 2.6-beta-2

Bbpress 2.5.12

Bbpress 2.6-beta-2

Candrom
    Participant

@candrom

Unfortunately 2.6 beta2 is still not php 7 compatible on my host. Getting server error 500 on php 7.

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

is there any progress with this upgrade? Or does this takes many months.

Iám wait for a save update to solve the slow postingtime.

Milan Petrovic
    Participant

@gdragon

bbPress 2.5 and 2.6 work fine with PHP 7. Check your server log to see which error you have there.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

I see JJJ closed some tickets yesterday. Thanks.

Only 16 tickets remain open for now, this means Beta 3 or what?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Beta 3 will be out tomorrow. <3

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby And impatiently we will wait, is Beta 3 already there?

Marcos Piskorz
    Participant

@piskorz

I just looking for news…
    Some idea about the ETA of final release of 2.6?

Marcos Piskorz
    Participant

@piskorz

@johnjamesjacoby some news?

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

Beta 3 will be out tomorrow. <3

This year or next year?

Airat Halitov🔥
    Participant

@airathalitov

Hi!

When will bbPress 2.6 Beta 3 or bbPress 2.6 be released?

jezza101
    Participant

@jezza101

5lions
    Participant

@5lions

Some feedback on beta 2.

I run a forum with:
    20K topics
    216K replies
    9200 users

I took the risk of running a beta in version in prod because performance was just killing me.

Here is a graph of overall system load after I installed beta2.

View post on imgur.com

I had to stretch the graph so you can see the difference.
    It had a substantial effect. Wheeew. Really needed this.

Been very unhappy with the wordpress platform for running a forum. Wrong architecture.

I have come to realize Im just going to have to spend a lot more money to run a site on wordpress than forum software that was originally architected for forums. Frustrating how slow wordpress is and how bad their design is.

Airat Halitov🔥
    Participant

@airathalitov

@5lions
    Looks good!

5lions
    Participant

@5lions

Here is the original graph.

View post on imgur.com

That massive CPU use that was bringing the site to a crawl and destroying this brand new server that ONLY has this single forum running on is, is due to wordpresses terrible idea of using /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php to poll the shit out of the server for bad reasons 24/7 any time someone has a page open.

Also partially due to bbpress slowness.

That first large drop in cpu you see, and the subsequent large drop to the end of the graph is me completely blocking admin-ajax.php in nginx until I can figure out how to make it work smarter.

All the latest heartbeat plugins do no seem to work with the latest wordpress. Cannot slow down the heartbeat or turn it off, so I filtered it.

This is really bad, because I have a community website that allows people to post photos and videos (outside the forum with custom post types) and all of that is broken with admin-ajax.php being blocked.

Seems no one has successfully solved this issue well on the internet 🙁

As to performance
    ——————-
    This same site used to run on vanilla forums on a 2 cpu box with 4 gigs of ram very FAST.

The wordpress/bbpress version runs on a 6 cpu, 12gig box which also includes php 7 upgrade.
    PHP7 is a huge speed improvement over 5.6.

This new machine literally only had this one site on it.

The old box was somewhat shared with the vanilla forum.

So even with effectively double the power, if not more, this runs substantially slower on wordpress/bbpress *sigh*

I just have to accept I need to pay triple the price for half the performance if I want to stick to wordpress.

Unless bbpress some day decides to have its own tables, and re-architect specifically for forum performance, were stuck with this. That of course would break a ton of plugins with the whole “share everything via the posts table architecture”.

May be worth it though. There is a big opportunity here to take over the forum world because its frankly is disarray. All the forum software out there is in a state of suck or dying and there is no clear winner. The integration with wordpress, and its zillion plugins, are what makes this performance sacrifice barely worth it.

5lions
    Participant

@5lions

…and finally, congrats to the development team, your performance enhancements to bbpress are significant. Keep em coming, we need it!!!!

Any BBPress Intelligent Please Help Me. ( Two Months Over – No One Guide for the solution )

MyBB to Buddypress Migration Error. ( 2 Months Over – No One Help Me ) feeling Bad

In BuddyPress Theme i have used the Import Forum Tool.

After Start Conversation Error Come Like Below :

Repair any missing information: ContinueConversion CompleteNo threaded replies to convertNo anonymous reply authors to convertNo replies to convertNo favorites to convertNo topic subscriptions to convertNo topic tags to convertNo closed topics to closeNo super stickies to stickNo stickies to stickNo anonymous topic authors to convertNo topics to convertNo forum subscriptions to convertNo forum parents to convertNo forums to convertStarting Conversion

Dear John Jemes Jaboby,

Please understand my query and help. no one give the suitable solution. Two months i have tried to migrate Mybb Database to Buddypress. Still I Got Error.

MyBB to Buddypress Migration Error. ( 2 Months Over – No One Help Me ) feeling Bad

In BuddyPress Theme i have used the Import Forum Tool.

After Start Conversation Error Come Like Below :

Repair any missing information: ContinueConversion CompleteNo threaded replies to convertNo anonymous reply authors to convertNo replies to convertNo favorites to convertNo topic subscriptions to convertNo topic tags to convertNo closed topics to closeNo super stickies to stickNo stickies to stickNo anonymous topic authors to convertNo topics to convertNo forum subscriptions to convertNo forum parents to convertNo forums to convertStarting Conversion

5lions
    Participant

@5lions

Well, even after killing the heartbeat, and running a hardware/software that is probably at least 400% faster, my users are complaining about how slow everything is.

I may have to start the nightmare of migrating to yet another solution. 🙁

The newish wpForo forum plugin for wordpress looks very nice, and yhey use their own set of tables so probably very fast.

***BUT*** they have no 301 redirect solution from bbPress which means I would lose all my google rankings. So thats a deal breaker.

Its 2017 and forum solutions are still bad. Frustrated as hell. Cant find anything that works well and integrates with wordpress well. Burned soooo much time on this.

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

@5lions Have you looked at alternative hosting? I had a nightmare with SiteGround on a very high spec cloud server and was having to continuously scale up resources. After moving elsewhere (and with significantly lower resources) my site is running much, much faster.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar