Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.6 Release Candidate 3

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hey everyone! Guess what?

bbPress 2.6, Release Candidate 3, is now available for testing.

Download it from here: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.2.6-rc-3.zip

Why is this cool? For starters, @jeffr0 may finally climb down off my back and stop giving me grief for how long it’s been since we shipped a major release.

bbPress 2.5.0 in 2014, 3 years ago.

Most people wouldn’t be proud to say that, but… I am. The 2.5 branch of bbPress has been so stable & well received, we were able to take our time with 2.6 and double-down on upstream improvements to WordPress.

bbPress 2.6 will come with:

* Per-forum moderators
    * Improved favorites & subscriptions management
    * Improved BuddyPress integration
    * Performance improvements across the board
    * UX improvements to meta-boxes and admin-area tools
    * Tighter integration with WordPress’s Dashboard
    * Template tweaks & clean-up
    * About 110 other things

If you’re going to test 2.6 on a live site, maybe don’t just yet. It runs a database upgrade routine to migrate favorites & subscriptions from usermeta to postmeta, and for large forums that may take a while or possibly lock things up for a bit.

We are already running 2.6 here and on bbPress.org, so enjoy the speedier new posting experience, and we’ll let you know when the next beta is ready!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Congrats to everyone involved!

Sean Davis
    Participant

@sdavis2702

Nice! Definitely going to have some fun with this locally.

bymiki
    Participant

@bymiki

Thanks bbpress team for your great job!

Barry
    Participant

@barryhughes-1

This is great news!

Unfortunately I did pretty much hit a fatal error straight away (I reported it and added a patch here – hopefully that was the right place/course of action) though I believe that will only impact those who test this out in a site that was already running bbPress, vs a clean installation.

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i’ve remove my 2.6 aplha and instal 2.6 beta 1 after the fix on an testforum with 120 forums and 500 posts

the install runs fast (few seconds) it looks like there is no converting in the database to convert usermeta to postmeta. There is no big performancechange

i had understand that beta 1 is an good performance update. And makes Bbpress faster for big forums. Am i right?

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby Hi John, is it possible to run the update script manually?

I’m adjusting all my templates to the BBPress 2.6 versions but it seems that the update script didn’t run.

For example, i’m missing pagination in topics view, and in a single topic view, i’m also missing pagination and the favorite / subscribe options (the latter is related I guess).

Regards,

Marc

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function bbp_admin_upgrade_user_subscriptions() in /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/update.php:326 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/update.php(174): bbp_version_updater() #1 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): bbp_setup_updater(”) #2 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #3 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #4 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/actions.php(198): do_action(‘bbp_admin_init’) #5 /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): bbp_admin_init(”) #6 /var/www/vhosts/intranet.cha in /var/www/vhosts/…/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/update.php on line 326

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

@Thomas_Camaran first do this fix then do the upgrade

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

Great

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Beta 2 is out to fix these embarrassing little oversights.

The upgrade tools can be ran manually by visiting: Tools > Forums (they are at the bottom)

On WordPress.org, I manually ran a custom, stripped down version of this same tool, but mostly because 8 million users is a lot to trust without some supervision.

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby Thx for your reply.

I’ll wait for Beta 2, the manual upgrade resulted in the return of pagination in the topics view. Let’s see what Beta 2 brings 🙂 …

@mth75 Beta 2 was released yesterday, here’s the link:

https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.2.6-beta-2.zip

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@netweb Thx!

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

can i upgrade safely a big forum from alpha to beta2 without any problem?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@senatorman If you have more than 10,000 users, you’ll need to manually run favorites & subscriptions migrations from someplace you are safe doing so. Otherwise, totally safe.

If you’re running a multisite installation with bbPress running on all of them, the upgrade routine will attempt to run on all of them, so there’s that too (though it’s a very unlikely situation.)

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i’ve 50k users, 1100K posts

what is the way to do the upgrade?

i think,
    -Delete Bbpress 2.6alpha
    -install BBpress 2.6 beta2

And then?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

* Do a database back-up however you’re comfortable
    * Visit WP Admin > Tools > Forums
    * Run the last 2 repair tools, one at a time, maybe from a beefier server if you have one available
    * Confirm that your favorites & subscriptions work as expected

If something goes wrong:
    * Restore your data from your back-up
    * Go back to 2.6 alpha

Honestly, I’m being a little paranoid. The tools are fine. But… because hosting environments are so different everywhere, it’s hard to rule out any edge-cases ahead of time.

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

Sorry, but i don’t understand you exactly how to upgrade.

must i this do before or after install the Beta2 plugin?

* Visit WP Admin > Tools > Forums
    * Run the last 2 repair tools, one at a time, maybe from a beefier server if you have one available
    * Confirm that your favorites & subscriptions work as expected

And can you define wich 2 repair tools i have to run? On my big forum not all the repairtools works fine. Some of them give a timeout error

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby

After hours of adjusting my bbpress child theme templates, and troubleshooting I found that the favourites and subscription items where still missing … after some more digging I found that:

<?php bbp_topic_subscription_link(); ?>
    <?php bbp_user_favorites_link(); ?>

is missing in the loop-replies.php template file. I think this is a oversight? Adding the above two function calls to loop-replies.php make both options appear.

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby

@netweb

He Guys,

It seems that the shortcode: [bbp-topic-index] (which I use as the landing page on my forum and in a few navigation tabs) isn’t working in my 2 test environment installs. Could this be confirmed?

Best regards,

Marc

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby

@netweb

Regarding the [bbp-topic-index] issue.

I ran the buddypress repair tools, succes in my main test env., not in the other. For your information.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

We use that short code here, too, so it’s working OK for us. I’ll need to look into the links. Possible they moved to an action, or a different template part at some point.

@senatorman
    – do your database backup first, then swap from alpha to beta, then run the bottom three upgrade tools, for favorites and subscriptions (I forgot about forum subscriptions.)

mth75
    Participant

@mth75

@johnjamesjacoby

Thx for your reply. I’m holding back on the migration in the meantime.

Other question, assigning a forum moderator to a forum (subforum not category) doesn’t seem to work. I assigned a user by his WordPress Username.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks for trying things out. What isn’t working? It’s not saving? It’s not giving them moderation capabilities? The form should pop-up an autocomplete, and I think it verifies usernames and only accepts valid ones. It ends up saving the user ID, not the username, because usernames can be changed but changing IDs would break stuff.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar