Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.3 now available!

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • @docchewbacca There is no fixed timeline for ‘individual access rights’ forum permissions and all that goes with that feature and what is planned for bbPress 2.4 is still yet to be 100% decided.

@probablynot & @jezza101 Will hunt around and see what we can do about having a simple way to turn ‘search’ off. šŸ˜‰

I just tested a fresh install of bbP 2.3 and WP 3.6 trunk on MAMP Pro and can’t replicate any issues.

realhood
    Participant

@realhood

@netweb

What do you have your permalinks set to? (ā€˜Settingsā€™ -> ā€˜Permalinksā€™)

http://127.0.0.1/%post_id%.html

What is the ā€˜Search Slugā€™ for bbPress set to? (ā€˜Settingsā€™ -> ā€˜Forumsā€™ )

Ā using itā†’no issues (i don’t know why ,but it works)

not using Ā ā†’issues

mysite=wp+bbpress+buddypress

@jezza101 “Can I control which stats are shown? For example ā€œempty tagsā€ isnā€™t something I really want to boast about on my forum!”

‘Empty Tags’ are ONLY shown if you actually have empty topic tags… Essentially that is giving you a hint that you have topic tags with no associated topics so you can delete those empty topic tags.

Millen
    Participant

@millen

I got the same issue as well. will the fix take long to get out?

There are many different issues that have been posted here in this thread, please add your specific details of your issues when you post a message, we cannot read minds šŸ™‚

@realhood What do you have set for each of these ‘Single Slugs’?

Single Slugs

realhood
    Participant

@realhood

@netweb

this is my settings

@realhood I still cannot reproduce your issue using the same settings you have above or with ‘Forum Prefix’ unchecked.

This works perfectly http://127.0.0.1/search?bbp_search=test

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Anyone having issues with MAMP, I run MAMP Pro locally, and have used it to develop bbPress since years back. MAMP isn’t the issue, something else is, and it should not have changed between bbPress 2.2 and 2.3.

For people having issues accessing the administration area, your account needs the “Key Master” role to access the “Forums” menu, and at least “Moderator” to access “Topics and “Replies.”

• In the past, these checks were using the `is_super_admin()` function, which would default to users with the “Administrator” role on single-site installations.
    • Those that have fixed it using the auto-role setting, bbPress is automatically granting Administrators the Key Master role.
    • Auto-role should most likely be turned on anyways; it’s only a setting to allow site-owners the option to let other role plugins handle that instead.

People wanting to go back to using an old version of bbPress, I’d highly advise that you troubleshoot your installations and stick with 2.3. Rolling back is a temporary fix that doesn’t help track down what’s going on; when we’re willing and available to help you figure out what is going on, it’s best to take advantage of the free support instead.

realhood
    Participant

@realhood

@netwebĀ you can check it out on my testwebsite Ā http://realhood.xicp.net/forums

leave your email, Ā IĀ will send aĀ accountĀ to you if smile..

premitheme
    Participant

@premitheme

@johnjamesjacoby So, when I’m working on bbpress on MAMP (not pro) and while I’m working, I found the 2.3 update notice, then I hit “update now” link. After the update I just tried to post topics or replies and all what I get is the “Are you sure …” ERROR. What is the reason in your opinion?

The update works good on XAMPP for example as well as the build-in localhost I setup on mac, I just wonder what’s happened, is it bug in the code? MAMP configuration issue? php version?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@premitheme – I’ve used and tested with PHP 5.2/5.3/5.4 without incident.

The “Are you sure you wanted to do that?” errors come from nonce requests failing inside of the `bbp_verify_nonce_request()` function. My guess is the `$requested_url`, `$matched_url`, and `$home_url` are coming up with some kind of mismatch, causing `$result` to return `false` and the nonce check to fail.

It’s also possible that the parsing and comparisons in `bbp_verify_nonce_request()` could use improvement. This function was modified in 2.3 to allow for reverse-proxying, which may have broken some other type of URL. If so, would love your help there. šŸ™‚

Looks better and better, BUT it crash my feeds:
    Warning: Illegal offset type in /home/XXXXX/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/common/functions.php on line 1503

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

@hlwinkler Can you try your search ā€˜OpenEarsā€™ using the Twenty Eleven or Twenty Twelve theme.

I tried it with Twenty Twelve and it worked fine.

premitheme
    Participant

@premitheme

Okay, not sure if this is the reason, but after your last reply a searched a little bit, found this ticket https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2070 and started to think that it’s a problem in the URL.

The only difference between XAMPP and MAMP (free) is that XAMPP uses “localhost” host name, while MAMP (free) uses “localhost:8888” when using MAMP ports by default (MAMP pro uses “localhost” that tell why it works OK with you). So I went to MAMP preferences and changed the ports settings to use default Apache and MySQL ports to use “localhost” instead of “localhost:8888”, and finally posting topics and replies is available again šŸ™‚

Even better I setup a virtual hostname manually in MAMP (free) and the everything works fine.

I hope this will help others with the same issue with MAMP (free). Thanks for your time @johnjamesjacoby and @netweb, great work and keep it up.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Weā€™ll be checking out those improvements to code posting now.

Unfortunately this is still an issue, and I’ve reopened the relevant ticket:
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2091#comment:5

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

@netweb and @johnjamesjacoby using the following environment:

MAMP 2.1.1
    PHP 5.4.4

I’m not using the Pro version.

(in regards to the “Are you sure…” error message issue)

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

I can confirm that the fix identified by @premitheme for MAMP (free) installations is to switch over to port 80. You may also need to update the WordPress and site address under General Settings if 8888 is part of your previous installation.

Mudstacle
    Participant

@mudstacle

Hi there,

I’ve got a forum that doesn’t show, I believe it is a theme issue as default wordpress theme works okay, I’m running ExtremeSport 2.0 from http://smthemes.com/ ( http://smthemes.com/extremesport/ )

It worked okay with 2.2.4 I’m not sure where to start looking for the issue (I’m a c# developer by trade šŸ™‚ ).

samholman
    Participant

@samholman

Calling is_user_logged_in() in a plugin’s init file causes bbPress to error (Cheatinā€™ uh?) in the admin when trying to manage anything to do with the forums (settings, forums, threads, replies).

Makes no sense to me.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Calling is_user_logged_in() in a pluginā€™s init file causes bbPress to error

Plugins shouldn’t be calling any user related functions until after the user is actually loaded. The soonest place you can do this is on the ‘init’ action; doing it sooner is `_doing_it_wrong()` and will cause other hidden issues in your installation later. bbPress provides that debug notice to let you know your approach was incorrect.

samholman
    Participant

@samholman

Plugins shouldnā€™t be calling any user related functions until after the user is actually loaded. The soonest place you can do this is on the ā€˜initā€™ action; doing it sooner is _doing_it_wrong() and will cause other hidden issues in your installation later. bbPress provides that debug notice to let you know your approach was incorrect.

Thanks for that. But why would calling a boolean function cause any “hidden issues”? That current behaviour would strike me as very definitely `_doing_it_wrong()`. It should return true/false without impacting anything else.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Depends what the boolean function is comparing. Can you open a new topic in the forums here, and be more specific?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.3 now available!’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar