Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.2.1

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Now that bbPress 2.2 is out, please be sure to log any bugs you find that are specific to bbPress 2.2 on our bug tracker, setting the version to 2.2.

We’ll be keeping our eyes open for anything that requires quick fixing, while starting to plan out the dev cycle for bbPress 2.3.

Thanks y’all!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)

• rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Bloody hell, I have this now!

BBPress was just instantly marking these posts by this user as spam, even though they weren’t!

Is there an option somewhere that would have marked this user as spammer which would go away when their role is changed to Participant?

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Done, upgraded immediately. Everything seems to work fine but i can’t see the theme selector in main settings.. is it normal or is a bug? I’d love to find it back cuz I need to set it back from default theme compat to twentyten

I have the same issue, and in the plugin folder there is no bbp-theme-compat folder after the upgrade.

cestrauss
    Participant

@cestrauss

I test updated bbPress 2.2 (it does NOT say that it is 2.2.1) on my MAMP server, and it is now missing several of the Settings from 2.1.3 that I actually used.

“Theme Packages – Current Package” is gone, which I set to Twenty Ten (bbPress) on my sites, although then I use the ‘bbPress (Twenty Eleven)’ child theme from ServerPress.com as my active theme – which may negate any effect of this setting.

I don’t see the “Per RSS Page” settings any more, and I have “Akismet – Use Akismet” selected on the production site in 2.1.3; now those are gone in 2.2.

I did not see anything in the Changelog for 2.2 that led me to expect these changes.

I also have ‘Search bbPress 2.0’ ver 1.0 from ServerPress.com installed; I wonder if that will still work in 2.2.x???

After a bad week following an update from Wordfence 3.3.7 to 3.4.1 (just fixed in 3.4.4), I am in no hurry to update another major plugin on my site prematurely.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The TwentyTen files were pulled out of bbPress core. I’ll be releasing it as a plugin this week, for anyone that still wants the old table-based templates.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Also, there is no bbPress 2.2.1 yet; it’s what comes next to address any bugs in 2.2.

Alain RONK
    Participant

@alain-ronk

Hello !

Nobody for my question ???

Why any visitor can open a topic and write a response, while only REGISTERED users (username + password) will have access to the box for reply notification by mail?

I would like the mail notification is ok for all users, registered and not registered users.
    To date, no response obtained in any forum, and no plugin found …

Is it possible to have a new version with this option in the panel settings, plaese ?

Best regards
    Alain
    My Website : http://www.modelisme-racer.fr

@Alain,I have replied to the thread you started here as this is not related to any bugs with bbPress 2.2.

Alain RONK
    Participant

@alain-ronk

@netweb

Thank you very much netweb for your replie !

I will write the demand bbpress.track

Best regards
    Alain

I.g.C.
    Participant

@igc-1

The TwentyTen files were pulled out of bbPress core. I’ll be releasing it as a plugin this week, for anyone that still wants the old table-based templates.

I’ve made a lot of CSS work on that template but i choose it just because it has a single column base. Is there an option to not-show the sidebar with theme compat? If there ins’t I think it would be a great add

thank you guys 🙂

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Are there any docs on the new dynamic user roles JJ?

Cheers mate!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@rossagrant – Not yet, need to write something up soon though.

beingattractive
    Participant

@beingattractive

works great except now my user admin section is messed up http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ujyu3

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

Can u try to fix anchor gap caused by wp admin bar? 🙂

Eg: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-2-2-1/page/2/#post-120319 😛

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

No worries JJ, I’ll wait for the docs.

So how do you envisage what the best way forward would be for site owners that use membership plugins?

Is there anything we can build into BBPress to enable the ‘Participant’ level being attributed to all users excpt admins or unless it’s changed otherwise?

I’m not quite sure how to move forward.

I could use a user role capability plugin, but is that not just complicating things?

Also, where does the ‘member’ label come from that I’m seeing for regular members? It’s not actually a role that is selectable in the backend.

‘Participant’ is as close as I can find to be suitable for normal members that have their role assigned by the S2 Member plugin I use for membership.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@rossagrant – it already tries to do that, via: Settings > Forums — Auto role —

“Automatically assign default role to new, registered users upon visiting the site.”

Basically, that bit looks for users with no bbPress role, and automatically gives it to them (without interfering with existing WordPress roles.)

I think the problem comes from having modified the bbp_participant role previously in the database, and bbPress not using those modified caps any longer. (Just a guess.)

bbPress moved away from “editable roles” in 2.2, since plugins like s2member and Members allow for manipulating bbPress’s roles in such a way that safe updates to bbPress are pretty much impossible; the moment we change our capability mapping, this all blows up.

Going forward, bbPress uses dynamic, secondary roles, that won’t interfere with any other capability or role on the site. I.E. a user can be a forum moderator and a blog editor, or a blog admin and and a forum participant, or no role on the blog, and a key master in the forums.

This type of setup is best for 95% of installations, but anyone that’s relying on roles in the DB are currently stuck (like we see here.)

One possible solution is to just let your database roles override bbPress’s dynamic roles. You can unhook most of those functions, but I don’t think that’s advisable for the long term, because you’ll lose any capability updates going forward, leaving some users in limbo when new features are introduced.

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

Is this a bug — buddypress non-group members can post new topic or reply in any Group Forum?

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

I’m sure this is a bug– disregarding group forum enabled or not, the forum tab is still there. If a group forum was enabled before, it can’t be really disabled.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

bbPress 2.2.1 is out to address some of the major user-role issues.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

MASSIVE thanks go out to nerrad and JJJ for this fix!

Seems to work just perfectly.

So JJ, do you think I now need to tick the box in the back end to assign a default level to new sign-ups, or does this patch dynamically assign the ‘member’ role to all new sign-ups too?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Up to you and your needs. Personally, I’d tick the box, and I suspect you’ll want to too. The reason it’s there is more for installations like WordPress.com, where the process of adding a user to a blog actually means something completely different than it does under normal circumstances.

Also, if the box isn’t ticket, bbPress doesn’t create a profile for that user, because they won’t have a *real* role on the site. They’ll be registered, but have to assigned role; bbPress will just dynamically assign the default to them on the fly when they’re using the site.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Well at the moment, everyone except admin seems to be receiving the lable of ‘Member’ under there avatar in the forums.

That isn’t an option in the backend role drop down under settings—>forums so I could set every NEW signup member to ‘Participant’ from now on, although the difference in label may confuse the odd one or two.

I’m quite happy for BBPress to just assign the dynamic role of ‘member’ to everyone unless I select something else like ‘Moderator’ from the backend.

As long as all NEW members will still be given that ‘Member’ label and still allowed to post, then I wouldn’t need to tick that box.

Is that what would happen?

Sorry for sounding dense, I just want to understand it properly. 🙂

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@rossagrant – The display role is actually a bit different than taking the literal role from the user. It uses capabilities rather than the role, to adjust the output based on the user’s ability.

See the bbp_get_user_display_role function for more.

It does this because it needs to handle Inactive users (spam/deleted) as well as anonymous/logged-out users, neither of which have a literal role, but also have different “roles” in the forum, for lack of a better way to put it.

“Member” is the ambiguous word I used for “user is registered, but does not actually have a literal role on this site in the database.”

Open to suggestions here, if it’s too confusing.

brspart
    Participant

@brspart

“Hello.

I need some help.
    when I upgraded to version 2.2.1 my forum was link this http://db.tt/WO0W0n3q
    how do I solve this problem?

Thanks
    Bruno”

Please help me
    thanks
    Bruno

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Nice explanation JJ, I now get it mate! 🙂

So all NEW signups that register will be assigned the ‘Member’ label dynamically if I don’t tick the box in the backend to make all new sign-ups a participant for example.

I’m cool with that if it’s the case.

I don’t anyone to have a specific role other than ‘Member’ unless I upgrade someone to a mod for example.

Leaving the box unchecked would thus stop any members thinking “why am I just a member when that guy is a participant’.

As long as all future members who end up with a S2 Member role will still be able to post as a ‘Member’, that works just great for me.

Is that right?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar