Search
Bottom

BBPress 1 import: Successful but forums not mapped to BP Groups

• Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Details

Install: WP 3.5  (Multisite) + BBPress 2.2 Bleeding and BuddyPress 1.6.2
    Guide used: http://codex.buddypress.org/buddypress-site-administration/migrating-from-old-forums-to-bbpress-2/

Procedure: We’ve ran the importer to import from BBPress 1 to BBPress 2. The migration wizard went fine and all the forums/topics and replies have been set. We’ve followed the guide and made sure BBPress 2 is set to be used as the BP Group Forums. For some reason this does not happen. We tried using the various Repair Forums tools, but they do not have effect.

So right now we have working BBPress 2 Forums that do not integrate with the existing groups. Any suggestions on how to “remap” BBPress 2 forums to BP Groups?

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Andreas
    Participant

@andreaskarsten

To demonstrate the dilemma – groups are all here, including group forums:

youthpolicy.org/community/forums/

But then you go to any group and their forum, and it says ‘This group does not currently have any forums.’ We are on bbPress 2.2-bleeding, as suggested in the codex here.

Weird.

Update to the latest bbPress 2.2.3 and repeat step 7 in the guide at BuddyPress you linked to above.

Andreas
    Participant

@andreaskarsten

Done as suggested @netweb – changed nothing. The activity streams of previous groups state correctly “XY started the forum topic ABC in the group 123” but the link to the topic is broken, returns a 404. All groups still return ‘This group does not currently have any forums.’ at /forum. Permalinks checked.

For testing purposes:

What happens if you create a new Private group with a forum? Does that forum have a parent of “Group Forums” and show up in the group forums list? Does the group display a Forums tab on its group page? Is the forum accessible from the group’s Forums tab?
    What happens if you create a new Public group with a forum? See above questions.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Thanks for the pointer, I’m going to check it out now.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

I just tested this and I can confirm that creating a Private and Public group and attaching a forum to that group works! But there is one issue.. When you go through the Group Creation wizard and check ” Yes. I want this group to have a forum.” and finish creating the group, the forum is NOT added. So you have to go into the Group Admin > Forums and enable the  “Yes. I want this group to have a forum.” checkbox again. Then it does work. Example: http://www.youthpolicy.org/community/groups/testing-forums-bbpress-2/forum/topic/testin-topic/#post-2667

Thanks for the help so far 🙂

Group forum creation behavior confirmed on /trunk, and it may be related to why your imported forums are not showing up on their respective group pages. bbPress created the forum and assigned it the group_id metadata but did not check off the “enable_forum” column in the wp_bp_groups table on my test group setup. When I went back and checked “Yes. I want this group to have a forum.” in Group > Admin > Forum, it showed up and “enable_forum” flipped to true.

If you have access to phpMyAdmin, can you check your wp_bp_groups table and see if the “enable_forum” column is full of 0s or 1s? If you can’t, that’s okay, too. Don’t break stuff. 🙂

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Hi Jennifer,

All forums are checked with “1” (at least the ones that need a forum). Here’s a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn2surksk7yrgw3/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-14%20at%202.58.00%20PM.png

Maybe the group_id_metadata thing went wrong? is there any way to check that?

Check wp_bp_groups_groupmeta for rows where meta_key = ‘forum_id’, and wp_postmeta for rows where meta_key = ‘_bbp_group_ids’.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

These rows are also present and filled in.. I don’t know how to check if the forum ID corresponds with the right forum though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta9yl0vkx3viit4/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-14%20at%203.43.29%20PM.png

The meta_value (70) for group id (7) should be the ID for the wp_posts row for that forum.

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

The migration guide changed drastically from December 4th to December 8th.

If you used the guide before the 8th and you’ve backed up your database, revert back to what you had previously and try the guide again.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar