Skip to:

A right to left css file for the Hebrew language – PLEASE :)

• Hi people.

I wish to use the forum in the Hebrew language. And although there is a file in the installation called style-rtl.css, it does not work stand-alone (and I haven’t managed to implement it to the original style.css file)

In short – can some one prepare a working style.css file – for right to left writing forums ?!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • It should work if you include both stylesheets on your pages (the style-rtl one last).

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi mdawaffe – Thanks for the fast reply.

If I understand you correctly – what you offer is to paste all the content of style-rtl.css, into the file style.css (in the end of it).

Well, I just tried it, and seems that the style.css has some “design conflicts” in it (look at the forum header for example)…

you can see the results at:

Hope you (or someone else) could help :),

If you look at the top of the default theme’s header (/bb-templates/header.php) you will see:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bb_stylesheet_uri(); ?>" type="text/css" />

<?php global $bb_locale; if ( ('rtl' == $bb_locale->text_direction) ) : ?>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bb_stylesheet_uri( 'rtl' ); ?>" type="text/css" />

<?php endif; ?>

Currently, you have a file called (is that the right name for Hebrew?) in bbPress’ languages directory.

You should also put a file called he.php in that directory that has the following content.

$text_direction = 'rtl';

Then, bbPress will know that your language is RTL and should include both the style.css and the style-rtl.css automatically.

But, you’re right. There are a bunch of CSS bugs it looks like. I’ll see what I can do to fix them.

I have updated the stylesheets:

You can grab the most recent copies here:

EDIT: It seems there are more bugs than I thought… Still working.

I’ve updated things again:

(you can still use those other links to grab the most recent data).

The UL at the top of the topic page gets shifted too far over to the right. I don’t know why and have filed a ticket:

Hi mdawaffe – Great job !

I made the php file (called it as the .mo file name – which was bbpress_il_IL.php )

And once putting it in the languages directory, combined with the improved style.css files – it did the magic.

there are two points to make though:

1) when entering a thread – there is a sliding of the info part – in the begining of the thread. as shown here:

2) It might be helpful, for less technofillik people as us – to make an option in the admin panel – weather to turn the “rtl” on or off.

(another nice add on – would be to enable different “rtl” setup – on different forums on the same bbpress installation. Not that I need such a feature – but it might be worth keeping in mind)

Again, thanks a whole bunch !

After there is a solid release of a working style-rtl.css – I will gladly publish all the installation detail for the hebrew speaking community (and i believe all will be happy).

Thank you! I have learned.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar