Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

2.1 download

• katmmad
    Participant

@katmmad

OK. Sorry for such a dumb question, but this is seriously frustrating to me: how do I download and install the 2.1 beta? Trying to use the Genesis Extend plugin, but it only works with 2.1. I found a link on the BBP forums to the trac page that has the .zip file, but when I upload it on the backend a) BBP remains 2.0 b) there is no new plugin called “branches” or whatever the .zip file is.

Does it matter that my BBP plugin was uploaded via Buddypress?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

2.1 can be downloaded by going to this page https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin and clicking download zip archive at the bottom of the page – is this the one you downloaded from earlier?

Keep in mind that 2.1 is not quite final (although stable from my testing) so it would be wise to do a backup before the upgrade if you are doing it in a production environment.

I’m actually the author of bbPress Genesis Extend. If you are using 2.0.x you actually dont need Genesis Extend (unless you want some of the new features) because bbPress 2.0.x has limited Genesis compatibility built into it.

katmmad
    Participant

@katmmad

Thanks, Jared, was hoping you would answer! Is there a simple way to make the bbPress forum NOT be full-page width, and have my regular sidebar on the page? That’s the main thing I was hoping Genesis Extend would do, at least at this stage in the game. Need to show ads.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Yep, you can do that with the plugin – just make sure and upgrade to 2.1 before you install it. After that just head to the Genesis settings :)

katmmad
    Participant

@katmmad

Gotcha. I’m afraid this takes us back to my original question, though. Following your link above, I download the .zip file at the bottom of the page — it saves to my desktop as trunk-3822.zip. If I go in to “add plugin” in WP, and upload that .zip, I can’t find it in the plugin directory — nd the version of bbPress is still 2.0.2.

Do I need to do this in CPanel instead? Manually copy the files into the bbPress folder already there? Sorry if I’m being daft.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

You will need to do it using FTP.

1. downloads zip from link

2. unzip (will be a folder called trunk)

3. rename trunk to bbpress

4. access website via ftp, delete current bbpress folder in wp-content/plugins

5. upload new one

katmmad
    Participant

@katmmad

OK — I did all that and can see the plugins/bbpress folder in Filezilla. The problem is, I can’t see it in the “plugins” page on WordPress to activate it, and the site is otherwise not recognizing it (pages I had with shortcodes aren’t working).

Sigh. I’m testing it on wavychick.com, which is a dev site for my dev site, if that makes sense.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Hmm, I’m honestly not sure what is going on.

When you open the bbPress directory, does the inside look like this http://sht.tl/oBlq ?

You may need to tweak the permissions on the bbPress folder.

katmmad
    Participant

@katmmad

Actually, no, it doesn’t — first 4 folders are bb-admin, bb-includes, bb-plugins, and bb-templates, followed by a ton of un-foldered PHP files. It matches where I downloaded it, from this page:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk

Did I download the standalone and not the plugin? (To back up a bit: I’m trying to integrate bbPress and Buddypress with an already existing WordPress site.)

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

My apologizes – I gave you the wrong link (the the non-plugin version of bbPress).

Here is the correct one:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar