Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress Multisite Single Forum

• I couldn’t find an answer elsewhere in the forums but the question is:

Can you install bbpress on a WordPress 3.0 multisite and have a single forum that powers all websites in the network?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • In doing so the content created on “Blog A” would also show on “Blog B”?

In doing so the content created on “Blog A” would also show on “Blog B”?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Can you install bbpress on a WordPress 3.0 multisite and have a single forum that powers all websites in the network?

No. You have to install multiple forums.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

No. You have to install multiple forums.

thanks zaerl! For everyone else here this is what I found as an alternative until there is update or workaround for bbpress:

Vanilla Forums

tal.ki Forums

they have free versions but its mostly a paid service.

thanks zaerl! For everyone else here this is what I found as an alternative until there is update or workaround for bbpress:

Vanilla Forums

tal.ki Forums

they have free versions but its mostly a paid service.

Celtic-Tyger

@celtic-tyger

PHPbb is driving me nuts.

Does bbpress allow multiple installs, to share one user table. Without corrupting and resetting forum permissions?

Celtic-Tyger

@celtic-tyger

PHPbb is driving me nuts.

Does bbpress allow multiple installs, to share one user table. Without corrupting and resetting forum permissions?

From what I understand, bbPress does allow you to share a single user table, as well as login cookies, between multiple sites. I’m not sure if you can have one forum shared among several sites, though. I’m basing that on info that’s nearly a year old, though, so it’d be nice to have someone give some up-to-date info on how this might be done.

From what I understand, bbPress does allow you to share a single user table, as well as login cookies, between multiple sites. I’m not sure if you can have one forum shared among several sites, though. I’m basing that on info that’s nearly a year old, though, so it’d be nice to have someone give some up-to-date info on how this might be done.

The only thing not possible with bbPress is to run multiple forums from a single setup (something like Network or Multisite feature of WordPress).

For all other questions asked above, it can be done.

The only thing not possible with bbPress is to run multiple forums from a single setup (something like Network or Multisite feature of WordPress).

For all other questions asked above, it can be done.

Celtic-Tyger

@celtic-tyger

I am not completely familiar with bbPress yet, I understand that the cookie information has to match in each admin section. Where is it that you have to tell a secondary install, to use the primary installs user information.

Is that done in the Admin modules for WordPress integration, or is there a config file where you can point the secondary install look-ups/selects to the primary install?

Celtic-Tyger

@celtic-tyger

I am not completely familiar with bbPress yet, I understand that the cookie information has to match in each admin section. Where is it that you have to tell a secondary install, to use the primary installs user information.

Is that done in the Admin modules for WordPress integration, or is there a config file where you can point the secondary install look-ups/selects to the primary install?

Put these two lines in bb-config.php (located in bbPress root) to make bbPress use WordPress user tables.

$bb->custom_user_table = 'wp_users';
    $bb->custom_user_meta_table = 'wp_usermeta';

And similarly you can make bbPress to use another bbPress user tables.

$bb->custom_user_table = 'bb_users';
    $bb->custom_user_meta_table = 'bb_usermeta';

All installations should be in the same database for this to work

Put these two lines in bb-config.php (located in bbPress root) to make bbPress use WordPress user tables.

$bb->custom_user_table = 'wp_users';
    $bb->custom_user_meta_table = 'wp_usermeta';

And similarly you can make bbPress to use another bbPress user tables.

$bb->custom_user_table = 'bb_users';
    $bb->custom_user_meta_table = 'bb_usermeta';

All installations should be in the same database for this to work

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar