Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress + bbPress Integration 101

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)

• racejunk

@racejunk

Been reading these forums for over two days and not making progress.

Have WordPress 2.71 (not MU) and then BBPress .9. WordPress is installed in a subdomain http://newsedge.webjunk.com

Installed the Freshly Baked Cookies plugin to allow bbpress to read newer cookies. Both WordPress and BBPress work fine on their own.

If I create an Id with WordPress or BBPress I can log into both. Cookies are not shared. Have to login seperately.

If (after loggin in both) I logout of WordPress, then I am logged out of both. If I log out from BBPress I am still logged into WordPress.

The instructions on here are all over the place between various versions. Am thinking maybe tthere is other things that may have to be copied over from WP-CONFIG.PHP to BB-CONFIG.PHP. Could someone post something consise on what needs to be copied? Or anything else I should check?

Thanks…..

Paul

racejunk

@racejunk

Not sure if anyone is reading this but it looks like wordpress and BBPress are using different ashes. I tried putting the actual hash in the Freshly_baked_cookies.php but it did not help as in: (the Real Hash is different)

define(‘COOKIEHASH’, ’16bc2175035323b2cf11e36e21a0ea32′);

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone reading this?

kswift

@kswift

So far the integration as explained in this topic has worked pretty well for me (WP2.7 and BBpress 0.9).

Except for one issue. I have customized a WP template, and once I activate that template (with BBpress installed in a subdirectory to BBpress), the BBpress profile pages stopped working correctly:

the link to a user profile does indeed end up at profile.php?ID=xx but instead of showing the user info, the page jumps into edit mode (as if trying to edit my own profile instead of viewing someone else’s). Also the submenu is no longer there.

I don’t understand how the wordpress template should affect the way BBpress profiles are shown. Any clues?

kswif:

You mean you trying to get it working like I have on my site?:

http://newsedge.webjunk.com

Hi All,

I just installed WordPress MU 2.7.1 and attempting to install bbPress (brubeck) and during the installer, it’s asking for 2 keys that I don’t see anywhere in the WP config file. The cookie and db key. In my WP config file I only see 3 keys and it’s corresponding salt entries. They’re Auth, Secure, Logged in, and Nonce.

Thanks for the help!

[Thanks for the help! ]

Your welcome!

any real help on this forum?

Hi Quick question regarding WordPress and BBPress integration of users. Can this be done across different domains? Say I have WordPress MU installed on Doman.com, and from there i have Blog1 installed on Domain2.com and Blog 2 installed on Domain3.com, and then BBPress installed on Domain4.com, would the users still be able to be sync’d across the domains?

All of these are running off of the same server, and Multi-Site is running on WordPress MU. Can users be sync’d between MU and BBPress this way?

(I know it sounds horribly convoluted. This is for an event that’s being put together, and while we don’t want users to have to register to N sites, we do want them all to be separated out like I described above.)

Edit: I should add that I’m not concerned about whether or not a user stays logged in when they switch from one to another, but just a shared user table or automatic user syncing is what we’re looking for.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

bycbyc there are only a handful of active WPMU users here,

did you try asking on the WPMU forum or did they send you here…?

No, I hadn’t tried asking in the WPMU forums. I just went ahead and uploaded the non-alpha release. I’m running into a situation where the installation is asking me for a Secret Key, though, and all I have are:

define(‘AUTH_KEY’, ‘…’);

define(‘SECURE_AUTH_KEY’, ‘…’);

define(‘LOGGED_IN_KEY’, ‘…’);

define(‘NONCE_KEY’, ‘…’);

define(‘AUTH_SALT’, ‘…’);

define(‘LOGGED_IN_SALT’, ‘…’);

define(‘SECURE_AUTH_SALT’, ‘…’);

instead. Also, what the “database secret” is, I don’t know either.

Thanks!

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

As long as they all point to the same user table and usermeta table, you can share the login across as many domains as you’d like, the cookies simply won’t be sync’d (however I have a plugin coming out soon that will share cookies across domains, but it’s not meant for wpmu, just regular wp/bbpress).

Database secret is covered near the start of this topic, it’s hidden in your bb/wp admin menus.

Hello Everyone,

So let me start with I am on day 3 trying to get this working right. I have tried 5 different methods to getting the forums to workd with my WordPress MU install but I just cant get it working. Please Help.

Everything is fresh and current.

Latest Attempt:

Following this guide.

https://trac.buddypress.org/browser/trunk/bp-forums/installation-readme.txt

At the end of bbpress install I got this error. Check Code below.

I also cant do step 6 because buddypress-enable.php is not there. What should I do?

Referrer is OK, beginning installation…

>>> Setting up custom user table constants

Step 1 – Creating database tables

>>> Modifying database: 40knetwork (mysql.dbmethod.com)

>>>>>> Table: bb_forums

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_meta

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_posts

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_terms

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_term_relationships

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_term_taxonomy

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_topics

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

Step 2 – WordPress integration (optional)

>>> Fetching missing WordPress cookie salts.

>>>>>> WordPress “auth” cookie salt not set.

>>>>>> WordPress “secure auth” cookie salt not set.

>>>>>> WordPress “logged in” cookie salt not set.

>>> User database table prefix: wp_

Step 3 – Site settings

>>> Site name: Warhammer Social Network

>>> Site address (URL): http://warhammernetwork.us/forum/

>>> From email address: gera3d@gmail.com

>>> Key master role assigned to existing user

>>>>>> Username: admin

>>>>>> Email address: gera3d@gmail.com

>>>>>> Password: Your existing password

>>> Description: Just another bbPress community

>>> Forum name: Warhammer Social Network

>>>>>> Topic: Your first topic

>>>>>>>>> Post: First Post! w00t.

>>> Key master email sent

There were some errors encountered during installation!

Please can someone provide a “clean” guide using bbPress .9.x and WordPress 2.7.1?

Step #1

Step #2

…and so on.

I’ve been trying (very hard) to follow this guide, but there are so many contradictions and then links to external resources that say to do something else.

Needless to say, I’m ready right now to simply give up on bbPress and move on.

There needs to be so many edits, changes, fixes (and it still does not work). I truly hope the developers STOP… sit back and re-evaluate this project. In my opinion, it should integrate with WordPress easily as the option should be there during the install. I thought WordPress and bbPress were the same “organization” – As such, integration (I feel) should have been a natural fit! Currently it’s so difficult, that for some it’s become a deterrent to use bbPress. I think that is not good. (I personally know of two people who tried to integrate and after a frustrating period, opted for other solutions. One of them makes a point of telling others to stay away from bbPress, because he was more frustrated than I was – Which I think is not right! It bothers me because if he’s doing that, how many others are?)

Two things that have added to the confusion are:

1) Comments from other users, suggesting something else, or contradicting the information.

2) The guide needs to be updated to use current WordPress code and also to include more instruction. I’m very technically oriented, parts of this guide leave even me hanging in the breeze. Parts of the guide are too generalized.

I hope some of the developers hear me (and feel the frustration) , but more importantly, stand back and look (really look) at this issue.

Thanks for letting me have a say, I hope this helps bbPress in some way.

Just found this thread, and wanted to say I am using WP 2.8x and bbPress 1.01 succesfully together now; user integration is just what I wanted. Only catch remains the style (user interface) integration, which I’m hoping to sort out eventually (hard when I don’t know CSS at all).

Rohan Kapoor

@rohan_kapoor

Gravitydk: If you want some help you can take a look at my site http://wpmu.zyrot.com/forums/ and if you like what you see I can help you. Email me: rohan [at] rohan-kapoor.com

Hi,

i tried to integrate my wordpress 2.8.6 and bbpress 1.0.2. I think I made everything as the description. Bbpress now uses wordpress database, I fixed also the keymaster role from the db directly. But i still have one problem. When i log in from wordpress, I’m not logged in bbpress. I think it worked one or two times, but now it’s not working.

Freshly Baked Cookies plugin is not working, is that the problem and if the plugin is working will be the integration ok?

Ok, I had no problem with the integration. Both WP and bbPress are working and the users are sharing fine.

Now, HOW DO I get either

1) WordPress to show the forums inside it?

or

2) bbPress to look like the template I have for wp? Template is customized Mandigo theme.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You need to create a theme for bbPress that looks like your WordPress theme. That is how most people do integration.

I’ve also heard of people using a iframe to put bbPress inside a WordPress page, but I don’t recommend that.

Well, I took the header, footer, index, style sheet and image folder from the WP theme and transfered them over to the bbP theme folder. I then renamed index.php to forum.php and combined both css files into one which is currently pretty bloated. After clearing out my browser cache the bbP page is pretty good looking, just like the WP page.

There are a few things that need tweaking, such as a blank line near the footer on the main page and the tag list on the message pages.

http://wp.angelwoodpines.org

http://bbp.angelwoodpines.org

Still have to add a physical link between the two. (Although the header image will still take you to the main blog site.)

I still have the same problem, I’m logged in the WordPress, but can’t log-in in the BBPress. The strangest thing is that the cookies are the same and wordpress_logged_in is with / path. I also have cookie with path to bb-admin folder , but I’m still not logged into the BBAdmin. Any ideas where is the problem?

I found one problem with missing cookie domain in wp_config file and fixed it, but the thinghs are more wired now.

When i log in from bbpress i’m NOT logged in wordpress but can do it, opposite when i log in from wordpress i’m not logged into bbpress and can’t do it.

if i login with 2 different users first from bbpress and then from wordpress i have 2 sets with identical cookies just with different username. If I use same user to login i have just one set of cookies with all the admin paths. I don’t have different cookie hash!

One thing I found and maybe this is the problem, I don’t have database secret in bb-admin/options-wordpress.php. I don’t knew where i can find this. If I can find it and manually change it in the database.

I’m using bbpress 1.0.2 and wordpress 2.8.6

daudev

Start with my instructions here.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wp-integration-coockie-does-not-work#post-61676

The difference is step 7

Step 7 WordPress type will be WordPress MU

You’ll have I think four lines.

define( ‘COOKIEHASH’, ‘####################’ );

define( ‘COOKIE_DOMAIN’, ‘.website.com’ );

define( ‘SITECOOKIEPATH’, ‘/’ );

define( ‘COOKIEPATH’, ‘/’ );

Copy it to both files but take out the HASH line in bbpress.

So copy copy the four line into wp-config but the last three line into bb-config

Still the same here, but i found something else.

I have two sets of identical cookies, but there is one difference

I have domain .website.com in the one

and host website.com in the other, but i don’t knew why…

in my wp-confing.php

$wp->cookiedomain = ‘.website.com’;

$wp->cookiepath = ‘/’;

$wp->sitecookiepath = ‘/’;

define( ‘COOKIEHASH’, ‘xxx’);

define(‘COOKIE_DOMAIN’, ‘.website.com’);

define(‘COOKIEPATH’,’/’);

define(‘SITECOOKIEPATH’, ‘/’);

and in bb-config.php

$bb->cookiedomain = ‘.website.com’;

$bb->cookiepath = ‘/’;

$bb->sitecookiepath = ‘/’;

do you have any ideas?

daudev I’m assuming you’re using WPMU

wp-config.php

$wp->cookiedomain = ‘.website.com’; *DELETE*

$wp->cookiepath = ‘/’; *DELETE*

$wp->sitecookiepath = ‘/’; *DELETE*

define( ‘COOKIEHASH’, ‘xxx’);

define(‘SITECOOKIEPATH’, ‘/’);

bb-config.php

$bb->cookiedomain = ‘.website.com’; *DELETE*

$bb->cookiepath = ‘/’; *DELETE*

$bb->sitecookiepath = ‘/’; *DELETE*

define(‘SITECOOKIEPATH’, ‘/’); *ADD*

oh always clear your cache after messing with the config files.

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress + bbPress Integration 101’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar