Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress 3.0 integration

• The other big question in my mind is this.

Is bbPress going to live or morph into something else?

With the release of WP 3.0 just around the corner (I am already running WP3 RC2), what’s going to happen with bbPress then?

I am at a critical stage with my site’s development and I have to make a decision to jump one way or the other; partly because I just don’t have the time or money to develop two themes for one site.

Do I install bbPress on WP as a forum and use BuddyPress to access it? Or is something going to change and make the combination and integration of all the plugins for each and of WP3/bbPress/BuddyPress all too much of a royal pain in the petutie?

I wish someone could give me some clarity on the direction bbPress and BudyPress are going.

Someone. Anyone?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Is bbPress going to live or morph into something else?

Both. According to Matt, who stated it back in January in the middle of an IRC chat, bbPress will become a WordPress plugin… eventually.

I doubt that’ll happen anytime soon though.

With the release of WP 3.0 just around the corner (I am already running WP3 RC2), what’s going to happen with bbPress then?

Same as what’s happening now. Some good folks will work on code (some community members, some Automattic folks), and we’ll sitin silence not knowing what tomrrow will bring.

Do I install bbPress on WP as a forum and use BuddyPress to access it?

If you’re using BuddyPress, you’re not talking to the people behind the bbPress you’re using. the bbpress that works with BuddyPress is a different beast, and for some reason they decided not to rename it, so we get the support questions and bad rep – constantly!

Or is something going to change and make the combination and integration of all the plugins for each and of WP3/bbPress/BuddyPress all too much of a royal pain in the petutie?

WP/BuddyPress plugins are never going to work with bbPress.

There’s a long answer behind why, but basically, thats a no go.

I wish someone could give me some clarity on the direction bbPress and BudyPress are going.

BuddyPress actually has some great folks who are very communicative and support their community so well it’s unreal. But you’d need to be on the BuddyPress forum for that – as it’s got nothing to do with us.

bbPress, well, we’d all like some communication – but thats never been it’s strong point. Don’t worry, thats not new, and it’s not going to change.

Someone. Anyone?

ECHO ECho Echo echo… etc

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If anyone really wants to know what’s going on with bbPress, I suggest contacting Matt Mullenweg. I don’t know if there’s anyone else in charge who would know more.

Mod – thanks for the steer.

Kevin – thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful reply.

In the end, I think I am left with the same dilemma, only you’ve clarified one or two points for me.

Many thanks.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Basically Terence,

If you know you’re way around WordPress and are good at theming or hacking some code into a fucntions.php file, then you’ll find bbPress easy to set up and get going.

Looking into the future of bbPress is never going to help. It doesn’t have a project lead, other than the Wizard of Oz (every 6 months there is a voice from behind the curtain that everyone bows down to). But it’s open source software, it’s never going to go away, and the next version does have some great little fixes.

My biggest suggestion is this: How busy will your forum be, and how much moderation will it need? bbPress fails at helping you moderate your site once it gets very busy.

Knowing it’s faults though, it’s still my go to bit of software for forums where I’m expecting less than 100 posts a day.

Kev

Kevin,

My goal is to build Virtual Crowds way beyond 100 a day and yes moderation will be a big issue, you’re right.

I’m not looking for the easy way out (never do), which is why a poked my head up above the parapet in the first place. What I want to do, is do it right; get the best possible solution.

As far as I can see, the way I have to work is from the inside out. In other words, as I am not committed to bbPress or BuddyPress for that matter, I need to start with WordPress and add my forum (social networking functionality etc), as and when I can, and it makes sense, i.e. once the smoke clears a little.

Its a real shame, but I cannot see that being the original bbPress, flawed and brilliant as it is.

But you know what they say, one door never shuts without another opening.

Who knows, maybe Mingle will get its act together and eventually become that much needed WordPress forum and social network plugin, and then Matt will lose out on both bbPress and BuddyPress.

And so will you guys, I am afraid. And I am sorry about that. I wish there was something I could do.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

well Matt’s moving bbPress to be a WordPress plugin, and it already runs the WordPress support forums, so in that effect Automattic aren’t going to lose out. It fulfils all their needs.

And right now, bbPress more than fills my needs for 80% of my forum work; but then it was never intended to fill the other 20%.

I stay here and contribute because it has real potential (I suppose everything does), but the more I dig around, the more I can see bbPress taking off in a big way wiht a bit of care and love, and well, management/planning.

Good luck in your search Terence, best of health to you!

Have fun, think different, create value, pay it forward.

wallaroo
    Participant

@wallaroo

Quote: If you’re using BuddyPress, you’re not talking to the people behind the bbPress you’re using. the bbpress that works with BuddyPress is a different beast, and for some reason they decided not to rename it, so we get the support questions and bad rep – constantly!

You know this is the first time that’s actually been explained (that I could find anyway).

I paid for an install of wpmu / buddypress / bbpress from the guys over at premium wpmu – and had some trouble understanding why there were 2 installs of bbpress. I guess this explains it (unless I’m still missing something) – so thanks so much.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar