Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Why is Forum Index In Bullet Points??

• mlakritz
    Participant

@mlakritz

My forum index page is just a bunch of bullet points listing each text for the topics.  How do I get the forum index to be listed in boxes like on the bbpress example.

Also, I suspect this could be from my theme formatting the bbpress forums this way – what file would I look in to change this and how?

Please help!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

Always helps if you give a URL to your site so we can see what you mean…?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

This is more than likely your theme not being setup to display your topics correctly. A link does help as Lab mentioned. Do you have a bbpress theme installed?

mlakritz
    Participant

@mlakritz

here is the URL

badgerakpsi.org/forums

And no, I am using a theme I purchased.

Is there any way to get the tables instead of bullet points?

royho
    Participant

@royho

Those are added by your theme…line 1760 of your theme’s style.css

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

You have several issues going on here, but they are directly related to your theme. As is very common, it appears to me that your theme has a conditional statement in the template file that builds archive pages. As such, it’s treating the content for bbPress forums as excerpts, as well as applying some unwanted styling.

Have you tried to build a page using the shortcode method? If so, what was the result? If you found it worked properly, then the issue as suggested above, and you could try to modify your theme or child-theme files to add a similar conditional that looks for bbPress and forces it to use the_content() instead of the_excerpt(). See: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/non-functional-index-page-when-bbpress-2-1rc4-is-used-with-woothemes-canvas-5-05/

If this page is being built with shortcodes (I don’t think it is from what I see) then what is the result if you try the default forum index method? We outline both methods in our step by step video here: http://labzip.com/the-definitive-guide-to-buddypress-bbpress-configuration/

We’ll get you there… 😉

mlakritz
    Participant

@mlakritz

Right now I have the page built using [bbp-forum-index] in a page that is just my website with the /forums.

This is giving me the result of the bullet point style forum index page.

@LabSecrets
    – I read your post here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/non-functional-index-page-when-bbpress-2-1rc4-is-used-with-woothemes-canvas-5-05/

How do I make the child theme and can you make its CSS changes just apply to one page? (in this case, just to the forum index page?)

THANKS!!

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

Making a child theme is beyond the scope of this forum, but there are plenty of good resources if you google “create a wordpress child theme”.  In a nutshell, you need “at least” to have a new folder, with a style.css file that references the proper header elements of your parent, including its name and the location of the parent theme’s style sheet.

If you are using the shortcode method, please try the default method instead, which is to change bbPress’s default root slug to something that is “NOT” an existing page (try “sitewide-forums” for example). This will allow you to keep your existing page / shortcut method index. Please show us what happens when you do this? (provide the URL)

mlakritz
    Participant

@mlakritz

Do you think making a child theme will resolve this issue, or is there an easier fix to the problem?

I am having trouble understanding where exactly the formatting of the bullet points is coming from… is there somewhere in the bbpress plugin editor that is determining the formatting or is there somewhere in the theme that is telling it to format tables as bullet points?

brucedongcai@gmail.com
    Participant

@brucedongcaigmailcom

Hello, I am having the same problem with “forum index page”. how did you fix this? please help? thank you. Bruce

Nippoz
    Participant

@nippoz

Hello, I’m also have this problem with my Forum Index Page. I’m using bbpress 2.5.1 and am using the Child Theme Configurator Plugin to make a child theme. But I still only get the bullet points without any formatting. Could you please help?

My site is: http://www.nippoz.com/forum-index-page/

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar