Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Why “favorites” ? Bad terminology choice?

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Not only is favorites spelled differently in different english speaking countries, to many novices it also implies you are adding a browser bookmark, which they won’t want to do, to avoid clutter.

I don’t recall any other forum software that calls it “favorites”.

Is this really a good idea? Am I making too much of it?

Subscribe/Track/Watch are perhaps better choices?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Maybe it could be something like “mark this topic as interesting”. And in your profile it would say “This user has interest in these topics: …”.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Yeah I’ve already hacked the core code to make it say “Track this topic in your forum favorites” to make it sound different than adding to your bookmarks which every site nags the visitors to do and so they ignore it.

Too much hacking needed to change the term “favorites” everywhere unfortunately and it was the first thing I sadly had to touch the core for. After hacking up wordpress so much that I cannot easily upgrade it, I swore not to do that on BBpress, especially since it’s so early in alpha/beta

It’s also going to be a problem eventually that a tracking level is not set for each “favorite”, so now they can only get every topic emailed, or none at all.

When in doubt, study vbulletin as a model I suggest…

you can also see an endless related thread on [wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

I’d say something like: “Add/[book]Mark/Save this topic as your watched thread/to the list of your watched threads”.

OT: what are reasons/purpose of:

'name' => __('Key Master'),
    'capabilities' => array(
    'edit_others_favorites' => true,

is it ethical?

Yes it is ethical. Or are you planning on doing something unethical with it?

My point is, granting Keymasters the power to do so isn’t in itself unethical. (If it’s necessary is another question.) What’s wrong with that?

I think capability to ‘edit_others_favorites’ is kinda etching by itself, the more I can’t imagine what is this can be used for.

the same goes to anonymous (hidded, i.e. without keymaster_name/timestamp) edit/delete/move _others_posts.

M

@box87

@_ck_ – “Hack” core files = baaad. Try localization… it works for bbPress and WordPress. Easy to do as well.

I want to change bbPress’ default text

If you don’t like the “favorites” text, you can change it without losing the changes on an update. Not updating because of some little changes you made is bad news indeed. Might as well wear a sign that says “hack me.”

ha ha i agree with _ck_ i also trasnlated favorite to subscribe (peygiri – پیگیری) :) it is much better

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar