Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Where do I find the forum users?

• glrberg

@glrberg

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but I’ve tried and can’t seem to find an answer to is.

I have bbPress installed on a Genesis/Education theme. People can leave comments and I can moderate them. However, I can’t seem to find a list of the users anywhere.

I expected to find them under settings in the back end of the WordPress system, but they aren’t there.

Sorry to waste your time on this, but I haven’t been able to figure it out after quite a bit of research.

Did I miss something really simple in the install?

Thanks

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

No problem – when you are logged in and on the admin dashboard, look on the right-hand side for this:

http://sht.tl/gwF

glrberg

@glrberg

Thanks for your reply!

I can see the regular Users function. My problem (I think) is that it only shows the users that we added to work on the site. It doesn’t show anyone who is leaving comments in the Forum.

The forum is currently asking them for a name and email address. They also have the option of adding their website.

Am I missing something and not getting them signed up and/or registered the right way?

Thanks

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

No, unregistered users who leave a comment are not created an account. That’s why they aren’t showing up in the user list.

Even though they are entering in their email address, it’s not actually creating a user account for them :)

glrberg

@glrberg

How do I make them register?

Thanks

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

You will need to use the shortcodes listed on https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-shortcodes

So for example you will want to create a ‘Registration’ page that will have the [bbp-register] on it.

Then you will probably want to create a ‘Login’ page that has [bbp-login] on it.

Lastly, you will want to go into your Forum settings (Settings > Forums) and uncheck “Allow guest users without accounts to create topics and replies”.

glrberg

@glrberg

More dumb questions…

I created the pages, added the short codes and unchecked the box.

However, I can’t make the registration feature show up on the live site.

When I manually input the page name into the browser, I CAN see it, but that is the only way it shows up.

If I go to the live site (and log out), I’m not getting the option to register. It says “you must be logged in…”, but it doesn’t give me a way to register or login.

How do I make that happen?

Thanks

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

The easiest fix is to use the user widget bbPress provides in the sidebar, and when you are not logged in it will provide links to either Login or Register.

glrberg

@glrberg

What about the other options? I don’t want the sidebar to show on the forum.

Thanks

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Removing the sidebar on for bbPress pages is going to likely come down to editing whatever WordPress theme you are using, there’s really no way for bbPress to handle that since there are so many themes out there and they all do things differently.

glrberg

@glrberg

I’ve already got the sidebar removed. I’m looking for options to get the registration/login box in the actual forum vs the sidebar.

Thanks

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

There isn’t really an “easy” way to do it. What I would do:

1. Register new sidebar for this, named bbPress widget area or something similar.

2. Use bbPress hooks to place widget area in bbPress template places you desire

3. Place bbPress widget into the new widget area.

4. Enjoy.

You’ll need to have a the basic understanding of WordPress to do something like this probably, not sure how familiar you are with it.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar