Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Well, I'm doing SOMETHING wrong, I can tell you that much

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I would use the Hidden Forums plugin.

For the meta tags, since bbPress tries to use XHTML 1.1 strict, you should make those lowercase and self-closed:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
    <meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache" />
    <meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache" />

Also, I’ve never heard of robots =none – read up on that to be sure you have it right. noindex, nofollow is how I’ve seen it.

The meta robots tag and the robots.txt just tell search engines that listen to not index the content. Some search engines still might index the content if they don’t obey the robots ‘standards’. So, you need to ensure the content is not visible to anyone unless that individual is logged in. I would use hidden forums for that. Or password protect the whole installation, like an intranet, and give everyone in your group that login.

1. Thanks for the lower-case tip; actually not sure how they ended up in all caps. I’ll blame it on the cat.
    2. I hadn’t heard of robots=none either, but a fairly net-savvy friend said it was easier than entering the various individual instructions (since apparently there are some obscure ones besides noindex, nofollow?). A Google search turns up pages that seem to agree (see # 4), but maybe I should change it back to be safe.
    3. The intranet idea is a neat one, but I think it’s beyond the scope of my capabilities right now (inasmuch as I have no idea how to go about it). I think I’d feel ok with just the Hidden Forums plugin, but I don’t know how to configure things such that it doesn’t keep crashing the site when someone not authorized (or not authorized yet) tries to log in. I don’t know PHP well enough to manipulate the code such that a person would just be directed to a “sorry, this site is private” page instead of causing the infinite redirect loop. Bummer.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

2. – apparently none is just shorthand for noindex, nofollow. I’ve always explicitly set them, and there’s really just 4 combinations.

index, follow
    index, nofollow
    noindex, follow
    noindex, nofollow

In any case, looks like you sorted that.

Never having tried to do what you’re doing, I’m not sure what the answer is to making the Hidden Forums plugin work for you.

Making the whole installation require a login is not that big a deal. Sometimes you can protect a whole directory in your host’s control panel. The bigger problem (for me) is getting the password to everyone you want to have it, unless it’s a group that communicates in other ways, then you can distribute it there.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar