Categories
Search
Bottom

WangGuard, Answering questions

• Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Hi to all,

I have a problem for reply on WangGuard plugin page: http://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/wangguard/ and I can not answer the questions.

I’m the WangGuard Developer.

WangGuard ONLY works on bbPress 2.0+, WangGuard DO NOT work on bbPress 1.x

bbPress 2.0 is a WordPress plugin.

bbPress 2.0 is a WordPress plugin and use the WordPress registration page. That means bbPress 2.0 will fight with sploggers software. The Captchas or reCAPTCHAs not work with this splogger softwares because they jump or crack Captchas and reCAPTCHAS.

Really, only WangGuard will help you with that sploggers or unwanted users. If you don’t use WangGuard, your database will become bigger and bigger.

Now, concerning questions on the plugin page:

@miracleren : Thanks a lot

@Yosemite : You are installing WangGuard on bbPress 1.x and only works on bbPress 2.0+

@iPad 2 kopen : really low people with bbPress use WangGuard, but on WordPress there are more tha 5.000 sites with WangGuard installed. WangGuard is 5 month old and has stopped more than 740.000 (148.000/month) unwanted users. when all bbPress users will upgrade to bbPress 2.0 may use WangGuard.

@PS Vita Forum : WangGuard works like Akismet but for users. Akismet filter the comments on WordPress and the Topics on bbPress. WangGuard filter the users on the registration page. If a user is a Splogger or a unwanted user, WangGuard will block the registration. Too, with WangGuard you can look for a splogger or unwanted user on you database, if WangGuard find a splogger or unwanted user, it will be marked as splogger and spam user and you may delete from the database, that works with a wizard.

Regards

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Plugin sounds cool and gave it a shot.

My site has 40k members and I noticed it wanted to check and ‘clean’ my users when I ran the wizard.

Not only was I not happy about it sending current user information for testing, but I noticed it would take hours to finish… not good…

I cancelled it and upon running the plugin again, it said it was reporting back a couple of users. It did not show me which users, and why they were being ‘reported’. That I was really unhappy with.

Finally, I noticed you made changes to the ‘users’ menu adding in the ‘wangard status’. It is not sortable… not friendly for large user db’s.

Suggestion:

A way for large existing sites to install the plugin without running through current users.

*They’re on my site so I trust them

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Since WangGaurd is for bbPress 2.0, it should be in the WordPress plugin repository so bbPress 2.0 users can download it via the WordPress dashboard.

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Hi @anointed,

You dont need to run the Wizard, it is optional.

The wizard is for users than want to check all the users, if you dont want to check them, you don’t need to run it.

WangGuard has 2 features:

1.- Protect the registration page. (you don’t need run the wizard)

2.- Check all users. (need the wizard)

For check the users, you need to send some information but that information never is stored on WangGuard. WangGuard Plugin ask to WangGuard server if the user is a splogger or not and the server respond to the plugin yes or no.

The server only stores the user if you report a user as splogger or spam user.

If you have 40k user, WangGuard take a lot of time to check all of them, but thats like if you want to delete 40k user from your installation, you will need hours to do that.

In the nexts WangGuard versions, WangGuard users will be able to check all users marked as spam or splogger. We will add a new section for admin users and users will be sortable by differents fields. On WordPress users, we cannot sort the WangGuard Status, or we thing that. If some one know how to do that, it will be welcome.

@John,

WangGuard is in the WordPress plugin repository -> https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wangguard/

and in BuddyPress plugin repository -> https://buddypress.org/community/groups/wangguard/

Regarts

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The BuddyPress plugin repo is an automated theme layer on top of the plugins in the WordPress repo that are tagged with “BuddyPress”

The bbPress plugin repo is still a dedicated repo for 1.0 version plugins.

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Ok,

Do you want I delete the plugin?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If that plugin is only for bbPress 2.0, yes please :)

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Ok,

Done

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Perfect thanks. You’ll have a much better experience with it in the WordPress plugin repo; more downloads, users, etc…

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

just tell you one thing,

I deleted WangGuard a lot of hours ago, but you can still download.

I think I need to do something more…

Maybe a readme.txt?

Plugin: https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/wangguard/

SVN repo: https://plugins-svn.bbpress.org/wangguard/

branches, tags and trunk are empty…

Thank you

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I will remove it this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

you’re welcome

Does Wangguard have the capability of allowing me to moderate (approve) user registration?

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

it will in the near future.

Will WangGuard work with the “BB WordPress Plugin” version? (Not the standalone version of BBPress). I am using 2.0.2 Plugin.

If yes, then where should I install this plugin? Which folder?

Hi Pkiula,

WangGuard actually will ONLY work with 2.x versions of bbPress, so you’ll be fine to use it. It won’t work with the standalone versions.

To install it you would just install it as though you were doing any other WordPress plugins, go to your admin panel, plugins section, and install.

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Hi @pkiula,

How Sean_A say, WangGuard is a WordPress Plugin but works with bbPress 2.x

Install WangGuard is as simple as going to Plugins tab -> Add New -> search for WangGuard and install it.

Ones you install WangGuard, you will need an API Key.

Regards

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar