Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

very simple one-thread customization?

• Hi — I’m looking for a very simple rendition of bbPress where I can just have one thread displayed on my main page and have users interact with just that one thread (and nothing else). Ideally, I’d like to utilize the comments part of the software only — where I can have a page where people can post comments only and post them indefinitely…

Can someone point me in a direction to configuring the system to do this? Is this easily possible?

thank you very much.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sounds more like a blog than a forum. Wouldn’t WordPress allow you to do this, with you posting the topic, then leaving comments open?

Do you have a WordPress installation already? I think it might do what you want, unless I missed something in reading your comment.

thanks for your quick reply.

using wordpress would work and that’s a good thought, but I would have to customize it quite a bit I think…?

I’m wondering if there’s an easy way to dumb down bbPress (or wordpress) so I can really just utilize its comments functionality — so I can have a page with a one thread based conversation and that’s it. (I’d like other users to be able to add their comments like they can on a wordpress blog entry…) Any recommendations on how to do this easily?

Is there other software that just focuses on this?

thanks very much.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Sounds like a guestbook to me.

I’m really just thinking of an extremely simple one-thread message board (where the users don’t ever get a choice to pick a thread, instead they just post to an ongoing line of comments). I want exactly what this thread is doing without the rest of the functionality, like creating new threads etc. I can tweak this software to do this — I don’t mean to make this over complicated, but was just wondering if anyone had already created a tweak like this or could point me to some other software that could easily/quickly do this. A guestbook might solve this problem, but I’d rather tweak bbpress (if no one else has already) to do this because it’s such a great base to work from…

thanks a lot for any advice.

Will the thread be changing? or is it just constant? If it’s constant, you definitely want a guestbook XD

No-one, as far as I know, has done this. You could probably do it by changing the theme to only show one thread; best to also make some changes with plugins in the back-end, but probably not necessary.

bbpressfriend

@bbpressfriend

Copy&Paste in a .htaccess:

DirectoryIndex /forum/topic.php?id=20

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/index.html

RewriteRule (.*) /forum/topic.php?id=20 [L]

Now (sorry for my bad english, im german) the topic is your forum-frontpage.. (dont forget to delete the “New Topic” links).

quick&dirty :P

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

> using wordpress would work and that’s a good thought,

> but I would have to customize it quite a bit I think…?

No, not at all. Find a theme you like, create a static page, make that your home page, strip out the stuff you don’t want in the sidebar (for archives, pages, categories, search, blogroll, meta, etc) and that’s it. One topic with comments.

Or, a guestbook :)

thank you very much guys. I really appreciate it — I have a lot of great recommendations to go on! (I haven’t had a lot of time to spend on wordpress or bbpress and I appreciate your help to make my customization time easier!)

swaymedia

@swaymedia

how do you go about doing a guestbook for each user?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar