Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Using plugin tags on wordpress

• I was wondering how to use bbpress tags on wordress. For example, since my wordpress and bbpress are integrated, i wanted to put a little member section on the wordpress site that would use the pm plugin to show you if you have any pm’s in your inbox. Is this possible?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Since the paths of where to pull the information for the PM plugin are hardcoded for bbPress installs, I don’t know if it is possible. Maybe drop a line to Ardentfrost at:

http://www.rayd.org/forums/topic/44

Trent

Will do, I check artentfrost’s forums about every day for a new plugin :) I think he might get annoyed with my constant requesting and never posting anything else…

BTW, good work on those plugins artentfrost :)

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

I never get annoyed :)

I’ve been so busy at work I haven’t had a chance to update my PM plugin yet. It’s still next on my docket. I’ll add your request to my list of things to do.

Last time I sat down to work on it, I was having trouble adding a user search feature… so there’s still that ;)

hmm… I really need to learn how to make my own plugins so I won’t have to rely on others to do everything…

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

I didn’t know jack about much of this stuff 2 months ago. I had programmed before, but nothing super special (I did an RSS parser for me and my friends’ main webpage, rayd.org). I just kinda got ambitious with this stuff.

Everything you need to know to do this stuff is in the core code (I’ve pulled so many stylistic and methodological things from preexisting code) and php.net. The only thing you need beyond that is ambition. Mine pretty much peeked when I did Private Messages. I can’t think of another project that will require that much work (though I’m sure there are, I just can’t think of any for now). :)

haha, I’ll probably think of something else I’d like pretty soon. And, by the way, while we’re on this topic of wordpress and bbpress, on my site at the top it says “Hello $user_id”, I’d like for that to link to the forums profile for the user. If you don’t understand, go to my site and look at the top right. You’d have to actually login for it to say your username, otherwise it just says “Hello !”

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Hmm, I don’t think any bbpress functions are loaded when your WP is loaded is it? If not, then you’ll have to build the link from scratch. Link building in bbpress is one of those things you just gotta figure out from doing it a few times (and staring at core code).

Since you’re doing it specifically for your forums, it doesn’t necessarily have to be in plugin form (which is preferable for me since I never made WP plugins). So I would do something like this:

Look at the code used to get the logged in user’s name.

Get the ID of that user anyway you can (you can search the db for the username or use a wp function that I don’t know about).

Start the link formation like $link = “http://zenhelix.us.to/forums/profile/”

Then you can either add the user ID directly to the end using a regular expression ( add a .$userid to the end of the previous line) or just do $link += $userid;

Setup the link with the a href and all that junk.

I wish I could give you more specific code, but like I said, I’ve never done much WP coding.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar