Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Using bbpress as my "blog"… adding a header navbar

• I’m wondering if I can use BBpress as a “blog” with the latest “articles” showing up as the “Latest posts” do here in BBpress.

So can I set up BBpress set to have a Navigation bar along the top with typical “About us” pages, “How you can help”, etc? (The usual top 5 to 10 pages you have on blog or introduction to your website etc). Any other ideas?

Then everything else can just be in the forums.

Also, because BBpress is a VERY stripped back forum with lots of plugins, does the plugin for email notifying still work? (Getting an email any time someone replies). Can I set ALL users to getting that?

Can I as the Admin set the “Tags/categories” that posters can then select from?

Is there an auto-backup plugin of some sort? (I hate database stuff).

What else do I need to install to use BBpress as my main community portal / blog (without wordpress).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Oh, and WYSIWIG and images and all that basic stuff… are there still plugins for that? I’ve got people very nervous with code…

You could use bbPages (https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/bbpages/) for pages. You’ll probably need to edit some code yourself though if existing plugins don’t do what you want and possibly write some of your own as well. WordPress is really more geared towards this sort of thing with regards to WYSIWIG and image management, to even allow images on bbPress you need to install a plugin and BBcode is probably the closest to WYSIWYG.

I’m sure with a lot of coding, you could get bbPress to behave like a portal, but why not just use WordPress and integrated bbPress?

because every second post I read here seems to be trouble with integration not working out, and an enormous headache.

I just want it all to be easy. I want bbsync to work again, but like so many 3rd party things, it died. That’s why I’m having trouble committing to any CMS, one does XYZ but not ABC, requiring a plug in (that could die), the other does ABC but not XYZ which is again a 3rd party plug-in, which again could die.

I really want one software, a community portal. It has to have a nice home page, a nice blog, and a nice forum community side to it.

I want all the features of each to be CORE (no vital 3rd party functions dying) and already installed, “out of the box”. (EG: BBpress being “fully loaded” like SMF and phpbb3. Just click boxes for the functions you want to work!)

I want a “bbsync” styled function to be core. EG: Each blog article submitted by our expert authors would be automatically copied across to a forum and auto-linked to the forum.

EG: At the bottom it would say “If you enjoyed this article, please click HERE to leave a comment”.

As far as I know, the Kunena forum team for Joomla might be developing something like this for the Joomla core blog, but the core blog is VERY minimalist and doesn’t even seem to have an archive function! So my preference would be if WordPress made BBpress a “fully loaded plugin” (automatically integrated) with bbsync as a core option as well.

But if Kunena are bringing their own version of ‘Joomlablog sync’ to life with K1.6, then maybe I’ll just have to convert CMS’s.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar