Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Using BadBehavior and bbPress

• BadBehavior is one of my favorite plugins for web-apps, EVER. You can insert it on pretty much any php driven site, even SMF and IPB, so I went one extra step and slapped the ‘standard’ bbpress plugin header to make it a plugin.

I do not support BadBehavior, so if these directions don’t work, I can’t really offer much help, and for that, I apologize. That said, it’s really straight forward, and using this and Akismet, I’ve had very few spammers on my blog/forum since I co-mingled them in November.

1) Download Bad Behavior (current version 2.0.26)

2) Put the file bad-behavior-generic.php and the subfolder bad-behavior into your my-plugins folder so it looks like this:

my-pluginsbad-behaviorbad-behavior-generic.php
    my-pluginsbad-behaviorbad-behavior(many files)

3) In bad-behavior-generic.php change this:

<?php
    /*
    Bad Behavior - detects and blocks unwanted Web accesses
    Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Michael Hampton

to this:

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Bad Behavior
    Version: 2.0.26
    Description: Deny automated spambots access to your PHP-based Web site.
    Plugin URI: http://www.bad-behavior.ioerror.us/
    Author: Michael Hampton
    Author URI: http://www.homelandstupidity.us/
    License: GPL

Bad Behavior - detects and blocks unwanted Web accesses
    Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Michael Hampton

4) Activate bad-behavior as a plugin in the bbPress admin side.

Now, this DOES NOT give you the tracking like it does in WP. I tried to find a way to make all that work, but it kept telling me things existed. It’s probably because I’m sharing DBs, but that’s okay by me. I’ve been using it this way with the 1.0-alpha string of installs without issue.

I hope this helps someone else out :)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• travelsuperlink

@travelsuperlink

awesome. Will give a try tonight. hopefully that helps to get rid of all spamers.

btw, anybody know a better and quick way to mark user as bozos?

Thanks Ipstenu. Just installed it as you instructed, got no errors. I now have Akismet (with Skip Akismet for admins), Human Test, and Bad Behaviour. Hopefully I’ll see a spam once in a blue moon.

Ahem. Spoke too soon. I tested my forum in Firefox and IE7 after working in Chrome, my default browser. I got an error page in IE7 from Bad Behaviour;

Error 403

We’re sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for / on this server.

You do not have permission to access this server.

Your technical support key is: (blah blah).

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact badbots at ioerror.us and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.

On the ‘fix it yourself’ page there are no useful details of how to, and the email I sent got returned as failed.

Any ideas?

URL?

I’ve see IE 6 behind a firewall be a bit tetchy about Bad-B before. You can Contact Michael about generic errors like that. I suspect it’s IE and/or your ISP.

The URL (for one that’s not active yet) is http://letsdoo.org I’ve just switch Bad Behaviour back on, and IE7 is just sitting there ticking away. Chrome still loads it fine though. I haven’t had anything like this before, and am on Vista Home Premium with the default firewall active.

Odd… IE 6 works fine, and it’s generally more stupid than IE 7+

What plugins? There may be a conflict.

I’ve turned Bad Behaviour off today, so that may explain why IE6 was ok..?

The plugins I have enabled now are (just in admin order);

Enhanced Registration

Moderation Suite

Auto Add Favorites

Terms of Service