Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

User and Cookie Integration FAIL

• robalan

@robalan

I can’t get this to work AT ALL. I’ve gone through every forum post I could find, changed every setting back and forth, re-installed twice, still I don’t see any of my WordPress users in bbPress, and as for the cookies issue, I’m about to bash my head in.

WordPress Version 2.9.2

bbPress Version 1.0.2

Someone please help—let me know what other information would make it easy for you. Thanks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)

• gerikg

@gerikg

http://wpbbpthemes.org/integration/ stop at deep integration.

robalan

@robalan

Already tried that tut, but trying it again isn’t getting me anywhere either—I’m getting stuck at “Step 2 check the boxes Add integration settings, Add cookie integration settings, and User integration database settings.”

I do this, follow the next steps, and it ends up telling me: http://cl.ly/Hm1

The only user db settings I’ve touched: http://cl.ly/GLo because my WordPress user table doesn’t have a prefix.

gerikg

@gerikg

That one is tough. I think because you leave it blank it doesn’t integrate the users.

robalan

@robalan

So… is there any way to fix it? Anyone have any other ideas? Or thoughts on why it has allowed me past that point before but now it won’t?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Do bbPress and WordPress share the same database?

robalan

@robalan

Yes—I’ve tried it both ways, but this time they are sharing the same db.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Double check the values used to access the db (leave them blanck if you use the same db). Also make sure that the forum folder is chmod 777.

gerikg

@gerikg

robalan, can you install without checking those boxes and then go to the bbpress dashboard and setting it through SETTINGS-> WORDPRESS INTEGRATION?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It’s ridiculous if to integrate you have to set your directory permissions to 777. Some hosts won’t even let you do that.

robalan

@robalan

gerikg:

I tried installing without checking the boxes and setting it up via the admin area and got it to pass through: http://cl.ly/Gip

However, it’s still not showing my WordPress users in bbPress: http://cl.ly/HI9 and I’m still having cookie sharing issues where it logs me out of whichever app I switch to from the other.

gerikg

@gerikg

In the wordpress integration section of bbpress have you tried to enter the information like it was a foreign database?

robalan

@robalan

Just tried that again—it saved and doesn’t give any errors, but still doesn’t display any of the WordPress users. Doesn’t explain the cookie issue either.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

It’s ridiculous if to integrate you have to set your directory permissions to 777. Some hosts won’t even let you do that.

It’s not “ridiculous.”

Anyway. Have you installed the WordPress bbPress Integration plugin?

robalan

@robalan

Yes. Installed, copied the “define” code into wp-config… I’ve tried everything you’d find on other forum entries on the topic. I wouldn’t have started my own thread unless I had tried the default “have you…” options and still couldn’t get it to work…

Any other ideas?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I’m trying to find a solution and I can find it only making questions. Are:

define('BB_AUTH_KEY', 'something');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'something');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'something');
    define('BB_NONCE_KEY', 'something');

from bb-config.php equal to:

define('AUTH_KEY', 'something');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'something');
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'something');
    define('NONCE_KEY', 'something');

from wp-config.php? Have you specified define('COOKIEPATH', 'the path'); on _both_ files?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

In my opinion, which I expressed, it’s ridiculous. Sorry you disagree, but I stand by my statement.

In any case, I don’t think it has anything to do with this integration problem. This is the most common symptom of integration that is just not working well. There are lots of little gotchas in doing it. I gave up on even trying long ago. It’s far too much to ask people to do to achieve simple user integration. For this reason, I support making bbPress a WordPress plugin. You solve this integration problem, theme integration and also deep/functional integration. With those types of support questions gone, I’ll be out of a job (in a good way.)

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I accept your opinion but at least in one case I discovered that the only way to achieve that result is to chmod 777 during the installation/integration/whatever and then switching back to 755 (on a very crap host). So I said what I said cause I tought that it can be a good hint. Apparently it is not (and it seems that my words are even funny) and it’s ok. Maybe it was a combination of factors and the 777 was completely useless.

I’m not a bbPress expert cause I have started to use this software a couple of weeks ago. I’m just trying to learn, help those who encountered my same problems and sharing my code.

Regards.

robalan

@robalan

zaerl,

Yes all the defines match, and I have specified that path on both config files (though I’m not sure it’s the right path, just what the plugin told me to put).

Still no luck.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

robalan, do you have another set of eyes there than can help you look at each item one at a time? Sometimes that’s all it takes. Something simple like pasting all 4 keys from WP to BB, but not changing the name of the constant (they need to be BB_$wordpresskeyname in bbPress, for example.) I’m not saying it’s that one thing, although it has been that thing for many people, but it could be something simple you skip past every time.

robalan

@robalan

I will try having a second person at it, but I assure you there’s nothing obvious that I’m missing… if I’m skipping something simple, it has to be simple and very obscure.

robalan

@robalan

Is it even supposed to show the WordPress users inside bbPress? I don’t even know—that’s how incomplete and fragmented the frigging instructions are. What a waste of time.

gerikg

@gerikg

What are the “bb_” keys in your DB?

It’s rare that someone doesn’t have a wordpress prefix. I would suggest as a last resort to export your wordpress and create a new database and don’t remove the prefix.

The login out when you switch from one side to another, it happens to some of my clients when php5 isn’t used. It happens to me. If your users aren’t on both then I doubt that is the problem.

Take a deep breathe, you got more users helping you out here than most posts.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Is it even supposed to show the WordPress users inside bbPress?

Yes it is.

I tell you what I have done. I have bbPress and WordPress on the same database and both have table prefixes. The blog is on my-domain.com/blog. The BBS is in my-domain.com/forum

On forum/bb-admin/options-wordpress.php:

1) the role map is key master, administrator, member, member, member.

2) WordPress URL is my-domain.com/blog, WordPress Blog is my-domain.com/blog.

3) Cookie salt “auth” valid, no Cookie salt “secure auth”, Cookie salt “logged in” valid.

4) AUTH_KEY <=> BB_AUTH_KEY and others set on (bb-config/wp-config).php and the NONCE_KEY <=> BB_NONCE_KEY

5) Table prefix set to the WordPress table prefix. Usually wp_

6) No advanced settings

On /blog/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=bbpress-integration-admin

1) bbPress URL = my-domain.com/forum/. Your plugin URL = nothing. WordPress type = WordPress.

2) Manual Cookie Settings tells me define( ‘COOKIEPATH’, ‘/’ ); which is defined in both config files (on top of those)

My wp-config.php:

<?php

define( 'COOKIEPATH', '/' );

define('DB_NAME', '...');
    define('DB_USER', '...');
    define('DB_PASSWORD', '...');
    define('DB_HOST', '...');
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

define('AUTH_KEY', '...');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', '...');
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', '...');
    define('NONCE_KEY', '...');

$table_prefix = 'my_wordpress_table_prefix_';

if ( !defined('ABSPATH') )
    define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');

require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php'); ?>

my bb-config.php:

<?php

define( 'COOKIEPATH', '/' );

define('BBDB_NAME', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BBDB_USER', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BBDB_PASSWORD', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BBDB_HOST', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BBDB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('BBDB_COLLATE', '');

define('BB_AUTH_KEY', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'same as wordpress');
    define('BB_NONCE_KEY', 'same as wordpress');

$table_prefix = 'my_bbpress_table_prefix_';

robalan

@robalan

Thanks guys—I’m going to have a more competent db admin switch over the WordPress database so that the tables have the wp_ prefix. Everything else seems to be default, so hopefully that fixes it (though if that’s what fixes it, I’m going to be pissed). ;o)

I’ll keep you posted.

robalan

@robalan

Hmm, just noticed I have “SECRET KEY” in addition to the other keys (auth, secure_auth, logged_in, nonce). What’s up with that?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar