Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Upgrade bbPress 1.0.2 to 2.1.2

• Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

I have a WordPress 3.4.2 installation that has bbPress 1.0.2 running on it.

I would like to upgrade bbPress to version 2.1.2

As I understand it, bbPress used to be a seperate product back when this was set up?

And now it’s a plugin for WordPress and I can find it under the plugins sections for WordPress.

But how to I go about updating the forum? Should I just leave the files as they are and install the bbPress plugin on top of it?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)

• Dan2013
    Participant

@dan2013

Ok, just copying those files over and overwriting doesn’t seem to work. There is no change. Can anyone help please?

honestscott
    Participant

@honestscott

smiga said: Migration tool just makes copy from bbpress tables to wptables

So I can just import to a new set up and it will not affect my current 1.0.2 forum?

Thanks!

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

honestscott, yes, old forum is not affected by migration tool.

honestscott
    Participant

@honestscott

Thanks smiga!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I´m having the exact same problem as Limbobski is questioning. And nobody here is bothering to answer him either.

This question needs a proper solution. There are many of us who have been with BBPress for YEARS now, and we have WordPress and forums on different databases. We need a step-by-step guide on how to keep the content and merge the two together. To successfully update to the newest version of BBpress.

I am fairly new around here and have hardly touched the old standalone bbPress.

The following page in the docs was last updated 341 days ago, that said I don’t think there should be that many differences in upgrading from 1.0.x to 1.1/1.2 based on these docs.

Has anyone actually tried this? What breaks if you do follow these steps?

Remember: Constantly make backups of your site with FTP and your SQL Database/s with myPhpAdmin.

Updating

Legacy

Just saying it doesn’t work is not enough, give us detailed information: on what breaks, what doesn’t work, detailed specs of your site, extremely detailed error messages, steps for us and others to reproduce the problem and with this type of information we can all help each other.

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

I ended up just installing the new version… This gave me new tables for a brand new forum.

When the new forum was installed, it included an ‘Import Forum’ tool that I pointed at the old forum tables and everything got moved correctly. So I am running the new forum now 😀

@limbobski Great news, glad it worked for you.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Limbobski, I have tried to import the old forums, but it did not work for me.
    Did you have the old forum on a different database?

Were the users able to continue using the new forum?

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

I was using the same database.

Users were already in WordPress, because it was the same installation, so the users could continue using the new forum without problems.

fontadoni
    Participant

@fontadoni

After a few failed attempts, I was able to successfully do the conversion from bbpress 1.02 standalone version to the latest plugin version (2.2.4). Doing this requires a few steps and I might do a blog post about this later but for now:

1. You need to update the standalone version to 1.2. I tried importing without doing this and some data, like parent forums didn’t get converted so I ended up with a bunch of forums with no parent (and if you have a big forum, you don’t want that).

To update you need to download version 1.2 from https://bbpress.org/download/legacy/ and then download the backpress and pomo files that you see below version 1.2. You then need to create a folder called “backpress” in the “bb-includes” folder and dump in all files that come in the backpress-1.2-bbpress includes folder.

So you’ll have: bbpress>bb-includes>backpress>class.bp-log.php and so on…

Then download the pomo files and create a folder called “pomo” inside the “backpress” folder. Dump in the files you downloaded in there.

So you’ll have: bbpress>bb-includes>backpress>pomo>entry.php and so on…

Now you can update your standalone version to 1.2 as you did in the past. Be careful not to delete your bb-config.php and your old templates (if you had custom templates). Make sure you log in to your admin panel so the database gets updated.

2. Now you are ready to import using the import tool in wordpress. Download and install latest bbpress plugin version, then go to Tools>Forums>Import Forums and follow the instructions to import all your information (don’t forget to put “bb_” as your table prefix).

Hope this helps

mindblender
    Participant

@mindblender

@fontadoni – Thanks for the info. I have tried several times and not having any luck.

Here are somethings I have tried and still have not been successful:
    1. install bbPress 1.2 as a standalone without WP integration on a local test domain (bbpress.dev)

2. Install WP with bbPress 2.3.2 on a local test domain (wordpress.dev) and then tried to do an import from bbPress1, using separate DB tables.

3. installed WP and bbPress 1.2 in another local test domain (wordpressbbpress.dev), using the same DB, and selected the WP integration when I installed bbPress. Then I installed bbPress 2.3.2 and tried to do the import and no joy.

In all the scenarios above, I get the yellow “Starting Conversion” box but then it shows:

Conversion Complete
    No replies to convert

Converting topic tags (0 - 99)
    Converting topics (0 - 99)
    No forum parents to convert

Anyone have any other suggestions? I do have test data entered and forums created for testing but I don’t understand why it doesn’t find them. And yes, I did verify the prefix as bb_

Thanks,
    Jeff

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

Hi.

I am still running bbPress v1.0.3. I have not upgraded it since due to complexity and lack of time. I am now all full at it.

I am running a copy of my site locally (on WAMP2) due to obvious reasons.
    I have tried as per <fontadoni> instructions to update to v1.2, which was successful. Now I am trying to import everything to newest bbPress plugin (v2.5.2) via included import tool. What I get is:

Calculating forum hierarchy (0 - 99)
    Converting forums (0 - 99)
    Starting Conversion

And it hangs there (on hierarchy calculation). When I check the forums, I can see that forum categories are there, but no subforums, no topics and no users present.
    I do reset and recalculate everything before importing. I have tried various checkbox combinations …
    I was running bbPress integration btw (common users between wp and bbPress v1.2).

help…

@e-motion Did you run the database upgrade after updating to bbPress 1.2?

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

Correct me if I’m wrong: after upgrade to v1.2, I logged in to admin panel and got a notice about database upgrade. It proceeded, however spit some errors that it could not drop primary index keys and create new ones. Other tasks went fine. When I visited admin panel po the second time, I did not get any notice and everything is still working fine. I did all recounts and they completed successfully. All forums seem intact and operational on v1.2.
    But will not convert to v2.5.2…

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

By the way, I am also running bbpm plugin for private messaging, which has altered bbpress database quite a bit.
    Sorry for doublepost, mobile opera does not show edit link.

I am not familiar with the bbpm plugin but that could be an issue.

The first thing you should do is check the following SQL queries in phpMyAdmin

https://gist.github.com/ntwb/757232d2260c5bce7b2f

I just grabbed them from an import so if you can run each of those queries for forums, topics & replies the importer should work.

Run each of those queires and let me know what errors you get if any and then we can go from there.

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

Thanks Stephan. Each one ran fine, I got all the data.

While playing around with import tool yesterday, it sometimes did spit up some random errors, something about syntax… I did not save them and can’t recall what was that about unfortunately. But most of the times it just hangs there. Sometimes I get different results when I change delay time and rows limit.

Maybe it is possible to enable a verbose mode to see if there are any errors during import?

By the way, I’m running PHP v5.4.12, MySQL v5.0.10 and Apache v2.4.4.

If each of those queries were successful the import should run run fine. I actually copied them directly from a successful import of bbPress v1.2 right before I posted it above.

What size is the forum your importing? (Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of posts)

Give it another go and copy any errors you get and post them here, there really isn’t much more verbosity checks that can be added (connection issues yes, but not data).

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

Forum is quite small, around 5’000 posts.

I am trying to reproduce those errors for some time now, but only now I was able to get an error. It’s like something is wrong with my system, as it is too random…
    I have lowered post data limit to 128M instead of 1G (it was so high to allow large sql dump upload).
    The error is:

Repair any missing information: Continue

WordPress database error: [Unknown column 'forums.fid' in 'field list']
    SELECT convert(forums.fid USING "utf8") AS fid,convert(forums.par_board_id USING "utf8") AS par_board_id,convert(forums.ntopic USING "utf8") AS ntopic,convert(forums.nposts USING "utf8") AS nposts,convert(forums.fname USING "utf8") AS fname,convert(forums.description USING "utf8") AS description,convert(forums.forum_order USING "utf8") AS forum_order,convert(forums.status USING "utf8") AS status FROM bb_forums AS forums LIMIT 0, 100
    No forums to convert
    Starting Conversion

You need to select ‘bbPress1’ as the forum you are importing from the drop down in the import settings. 😉

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

Yeah, I did this so many times that I developed an instinct… And it let me down this time 🙂 So disregard this error.

Maybe it is something with DB upgrade after v1.2 update, when I got error about “failed to drop primary index keys”? I will try to repeat whole 1.0.3 -> 1.2 process once again and report back.

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

OK, so here is what I get when upgrading database to v1.2:

The upgrade process seems to have failed. Check the upgrade messages below for more information.
    Attempting to go to the admin area without resolving the listed errors will return you to this upgrade page.
    Beginning upgrade…
    >>> Modifying database: circuit_circuit (localhost)
    >>>>>> Table: bb_forums
    >>>>>>>>> Dropping index: PRIMARY
    >>>>>>>>>>>> SQL ERROR! See the error log for more detail
    >>>>>>>>> Adding index: PRIMARY
    >>>>>>>>>>>> SQL ERROR! See the error log for more detail
    >>>>>>>>> Dropping index: forum_slug
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Done
    >>>>>>>>> Adding index: forum_slug
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Done
    SQL ERROR!
    >>> Database: circuit_circuit (localhost)
    >>>>>> ALTER TABLE <code>bb_forums</code> DROP PRIMARY KEY;
    >>>>>> Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key

(same for each table)

Something wrong with my sql import?

If I click Retry, I get this:

Nothing to upgrade. Get back to work!

And admin page loads as usual.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Due to the lack of support and replies only every sixth month here, I ended up deleting my entire forum with 300 users and ten thousands of posts.

It just was no clear path on how to do this and nobody was giving any proper answers. So I sacrificed everything I had built up and now am going to install a new version and start fresh.

Not with even half of the users coming back even.

e-motion
    Participant

@e-motion

I am still all full at it. What I discovered is that converter DOES work on fresh wordpress and bbpress installations. Of course I have discovered that all imported bbpress posts are by “Anonymous”, because of lost user data… So now I am working on solving that.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrade bbPress 1.0.2 to 2.1.2’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar