Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Two (or more) words and non-ASCII chars for user names

• Hi,

I’m new to these forums so let me first say hello everyone! I’m helping a friend who’s administering a literature forum in Spanish. We want to allow our members to use their full names as their user (login) name (meaning first name and family name separated by a space). That also implies we need support for Spanish characters, such as Ñ, á, ü, etc. in the user name.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What version bbPress are you talking about, and will it be integrated with WordPress?

Spaces are no problem already.

Thanks Crishajer.

My friend is using 1.0 beta. The current stable release didn’t work (I don’t know exactly why).

It will not be integrated with WordPress.

He confirms he can use two words user names now, but the problem with using accents and tildes still persists (and it’s an essential need for us). He says he modified the class-bb-install to take these characters, to no avail.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You might want to click on the tags associated with this topic. There has been a lot of talk about using characters like that in usernames.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

You can potentially use “special” characters in usernames via a plugin, but with the ability to have separate “display” names it is not enabled in the core.

Putting this in a plugin might work on it’s own actually…

function my_sanitize_user( $username, $username_raw, $strict ) {
    if ( $strict ) {
    return sanitize_user( $username_raw, false );
    } else {
    return $username;
    }
    }
    add_filter('sanitize_user', 'my_sanitize_user', 10, 3);

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar