Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Troubleshooting White Screen of Death

• I am deep integrating bbPress with WordPress 3.0 and I am encountering this white screen of death. I have done several integrations this way and never got stuck.

I use this code above database constants in bb-config.php

if ( !defined('ABSPATH') & !defined('XMLRPC_REQUEST')) {
    define('WP_USE_THEMES', false);
    include_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/../wp-load.php' );
    header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
    header("Status: 200 All rosy");
    }

I checked the logs and there are no 500 errors, all are 200.

I loaded the WordPress in a separate php file which works fine, so I guess something is conflicting in between WordPress and bbPress.

bbPress has no plugins installed but WordPress does have some and its a live site.

I am going to check for any conflicting plugins.

Any pointers?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Are those headers necessary? Also ensure that wp-load is in the place you specified.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

This is just a complete guess in the dark but WP 3.0 is a memory hog and you might easily be running out of memory with deep integration. In theory you should get an error about the memory problem but maybe not.

Try this in your config (probably wp-config.php and not bb-config)

ini_set('memory_limit','64M');

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

also turn on all errors temporarily

error_reporting(E_ALL);

and make sure you try “view source” on that blank screen as there may be something you can’t see on the page.

@Gautam

Those headers were in place so that WordPress couldn’t send 404 HTTP errors. wp-load.php file is there. I loaded into another php file and it worked fine.

I have removed those headers call and now I can see a 500 error.

@_ck_

I myself stay away from deep integration cuz of the performance penalty but some people fall in buying iBlogPro themes (premium and still require deep integration to work) and then they hire someone to get it fixed.

Source is blank too and no gain in elevating memory limits.

Error reporting didn’t show anything too.

How do I find out whats causing the 500 error now?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

500 error might be from a looping redirect that never resolves.

At this point if I was debugging it, I would put exit points in the code and find out exactly where it was failing. But it might take you hours to trace it that way.

3.0 is so new and probably buggy, there could be a dozen reasons why it’s failing.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

How do I find out whats causing the 500 error now?

The apache error log?

Woah! That would be a lot of work.

I tried this on my host and it seems that the problem is to do with WordPress 3.0 only cuz if I tell it to load wp-load.php from a 2.9.2 install, it works fine.

But I have seen someone in some other topic running a deep integration with WP 3.0 :/

@zaerl

117.196.240.192 - - [19/Jun/2010:02:53:39 -0700] "GET /forum/ HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3"

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Not the access log (access_log), the error log (error_log).

I guess I have to contact the host for that or is it accessible under a shared hosting via FTP?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

It’s probably available in your hosting control panel, I know cpanel has it.

The client has this custom sorta panel for its hosting. I have contacted their host to get the apache error logs. Lets see.

Meanwhile, Is there anything that I could try?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Try the exit points method suggested by ck..

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

There have been a huge increase in the number of reported WSoD reports with WP3.0, and thankfully the WP team are taking notice.

These plugins ( https://wordpress.org/support/topic/411649 ) are definately causing issues. HeadSpace2 is the biggie there as it’s a very popular plugin. I’m quietly confident that it’ll hit alot of people

WPtaven has an article on it, though right now there’s alot of people saying how it was flawless for them (how that helps those who it wasn’t flawless for i’ll never know). You can find that here:

WordPress 3.0 Upgrade Woes Starting To Come In

Zaerl has written a plugin found here ( http://pastebin.com/JhJzLjvQ ) that solves one of the problems with WP3/bbP tha was brought up in this thread ( https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wp-30-beta-2-integrated-user-registration ).

Having seen the hit my servers are taking from WP2.9.2 -> WP3.0RC3 my first guess would be memory. Deep integration of WP3 and bbP1 appears to be a nightmare, especially when I look at my one site thats still running bbP0.9&WP2.5.

Furthermore, I do believe we should start a “WordPress3.0 FAQ thread” that compiles what we know in the first post as a sticky. We’re going to face alot of questions in the next week or so, and maybe we could learn from some past mistakes :)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar