Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Topics and replies don't show up

• andylightpoet
    Participant

@andylightpoet

I Recently changed from stand-alone bbPress 1.1 to the Plug-in Version 2.1.2. I was able to perform the import ok, but when I post new topics or replies they don’t show up unless I go onto the admin side and re-save the forum or the topic. Then everything looks ok. The problem is the same using the TwentyEleven theme. I have tried turning off each of my plug-ins to see if there is a conflict, and refreshed various settings such as saving Permalinks and Repairing forums to no avail. Any suggestion for other things to check/change would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for replies.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You missed a step.

Visit: Tools > Forums

Do all of the recounts and recalculations. You’ll want to do them one at a time, top down.

andylightpoet
    Participant

@andylightpoet

Thank you very much for the quick response. In the course of following up with your suggestion I discovered that my problem is actually not a broken process, but one that is severely delayed. I posted a test reply to a topic and then was called away for a couple of hours. When I came back the reply was there just as it should be. So the forum is working but suffering a lot of lag.

I can imagine that the issue causing this may fall outside of the scope of this forum, but if anyone is willing to suggest possible next steps to solve the problem I would be grateful. The forum is hosted with a major provider on a more than basic level service plan and does not typically suffer from lag. I do notice that when I save topics or replies it can take 10-15 seconds to process. That was not the case with the stand-alone bbPress we had.

andylightpoet
    Participant

@andylightpoet

Actually now that i have something new to search on I am seeing some good replies in the forum. My search term was “slow”. I will post again if I get stuck. Thanks!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Doesn’t make any sense.

Performing the recounts will fix this for you. When users post content, recounts automatically for that topic. You’ll have better luck using the tools in bbPress than waiting for it to happen organically.

andylightpoet
    Participant

@andylightpoet

Just a quick update to close out this issue. It turned out that the problem was the WP Super Cache plug-in we are using. It had a cache time of one hour. That is why the posts showed later. Thanks again for your quick help initially. When I did the recounts as you had suggested it got me thinking about the timing issue and with the help of a programming friend a fix was attained. We just put an exception for the forum pages on the cache – since our traffic is very small it won’t be a problem. Now on to looking at why the conversion process left all the forum attachments looking like this:

[attachment=4256,884] [attachment=4256,885]

instead of being real attachments. I will post a new thread if we get stuck.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar