Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

To bbPress or to WordPress

• I have an idea for a simple site, but I’m driving myself nuts deciding between bbPress and WordPress. On the front page of the site, I want to be able to add my own content, but also allow readers to post their own experiences and stories. I then want other users to be able to comment on those stories, and rate them. Simple idea, been done before.

Is this better done with WordPress, following this example:

http://creativebriefing.com/how-to-use-wordpress-to-build-a-website-with-user-generated-content/

or WordPress and TDO Mini Forms

or bbPress with a customized front page?

thanks for any insight.

Michael

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

WordPress is good for a few authors <-> many commenters, with high quality authors.

bbPress is good for many authors <-> many commenters.

If you want *everyone* to have their own blogs then you want wpmu.

If you want your own social network then you probably want to wait a tiny bit longer for buddypress.

I like that few vs. many authors split… that’s a good way to put it.

One implication of that difference in focus is spam filtering. It’s easy to use Akismet to filter both boards topics and comments in bbPress… it’s harder to use Akismet to filter blog posts in WordPress (Akismet tends to focus on filtering blog comments, not blog posts).

That’s not to say you couldn’t get Akismet working on blog posts! I just haven’t seen any existing plugins that pull that off…

I guess what I essentially want is many authors many commenters, but I’m not ready for each to have their own blog. I like the idea of buddypress, but that would be something to consider in the future.

I guess I’m almost looking to create something in the style of fark.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

One plugin that I’ve been meaning to create for quite some time is a “promote to front page” tool where admin can mark a topic for special promotion, with their own custom summary that superceeds the title and first post and replaces (or suppliments) the Latest Discussions on the front page with the list. The list could then be re-ordered even further, independent of topic time.

I think such a plugin would change how bbPress is used in a positive way. Just can’t decide how to best interface it with how topics work and how to give the admin full access to existing formatting tools and other plugins within the summaries. It would probably be mostly like Wiki Post.

Ah neat… it kinda sounds like something that could power the Slashdot frontpage?

i like the idea ck. Why not take it one step further and allow voting to promote it to the front page, ala digg.

I want people to be able to post to the front page without any approval. Kinda a no holds bar approach.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

The approach Digg uses is very simple and would not need such an advanced plugin like “promote to front page”.

All you need to mimic Digg is allow voting on topics and then replace the part of your front page that shows the latest-discussions with the list of topics by highest rank.

In fact there is already a topic voting plugin that does that, you’d just have to edit your front-page layout. You could then go further like Digg does and restrict highest rated by date – 24 hours / 7 days / 30 days / all time

That’s an interesting idea ck, and that might get me where I want to go.

Have you seen anyone do something like through bbshowcase?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar