Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

There doesn’t seem to be a config.php file. I need this…

• I get this message when I load the install.php file in my browser:

There doesn’t seem to be a config.php file. I need this before we can get started.

But I’ve tripple checked and I’ve definately uploaded the config.php file and edited it.

Help!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • change your config-sample.php to config.php (i mean “rename it”)

AphelionZ
    Participant

@aphelionz

You should be sure you renamed it from config-sample.php and that it’s in the same root folder as your forum, then you should copy and paste the first set of editable lines from your config.php file and paste them here so people can see.

Yeah i already renamed it – actually I copied it and changed the name of my copy then edited it:

<?php

// ** MySQL settings ** //

define(‘BBDB_NAME’, ‘themboy7_bbpres’); // The name of the database

define(‘BBDB_USER’, ‘themboy7_tmgforu’); // Your MySQL username

define(‘BBDB_PASSWORD’, ‘**********’); // …and password

define(‘BBDB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); // 99% chance you won’t need to change this value

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!

// If your bbPress URL is http://bbpress.example.com/forums/ , the examples would be correct.

// Adjust the domain and path to suit your actual URL.

// Just the domain name; no directories or path. There should be no trailing slash here.

$bb->domain = ‘http://www.themortgageguide.org.uk&#8217;; // Example: ‘http://bbpress.example.com&#8217;

// There should be both a leading and trailing slash here. ‘/’ is fine if the site is in root.

$bb->path = ‘/forum/’; // Example: ‘/forums/’

// What are you going to call me?

$bb->name = ‘TMG Forum’;

// This must be set before running the install script.

$bb->admin_email = ‘forum@themortgageguide.org.uk’;

// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks.

$bb->mod_rewrite = true;

// The number of topics that show on each page.

$bb->page_topics = 30;

// A user can edit a post for this many minutes after submitting.

$bb->edit_lock = 60;

// Your timezone offset. Example: -7 for Pacific Daylight Time.

$bb->gmt_offset = 0;

// Your Akismet Key. You do not need a key to run bbPress, but if you want to take advantage

// of Akismet’s powerful spam blocking, you’ll need one. You can get an Akismet key at

// http://wordpress.com/api-keys/

$bb->akismet_key = ***********;

the other thing is i get this message when i load the config.php file in my browser:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/themboy7/public_html/forum/config.php on line 40

but if i change my akismet key to false and load config.php i get this message:

Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at localhost.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?

* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?

* Are you sure that the database server is running?

AphelionZ
    Participant

@aphelionz

What are the answers to the three questions?

To my knowledge the answers are yes. I’m pretty sure I’ve double checked.

AphelionZ
    Participant

@aphelionz

define(‘BBDB_NAME’, ‘themboy7_bbpres’)

not “themboy7_bbpress”?

if that’s not the case then you should perhaps contact your ISP to see if the database server is up and running (unless you can tell because your page is successfully completing other mysql queries)

I’ve checked in cPanel and I’m pretty sure I’ve got the names right. it autimatically shortened themboy7_bbpress to themboy7bbpres when I created the database.

I’ve contacted my host AN Hosting now, referencing this thread, so hopefully they can resolve the problem.

OK I found out that I’m not localhost I’m remotemysqlhost. Other than that everything is right I think, but I still get the same message. Any ideas?

AphelionZ
    Participant

@aphelionz

Is the server returning any other database driven info anywhere else on your site? like is there anything else besides your forums that requires mysql data, and is that behaving properly?

I might know what your problem is.

When i first started with CPanel it took me a while to figure this one out too.

Go to Mysql Databases in cpanel. go to Add Users to Your Databases.

Click the drop down for your user, and then one for your DB, then make sure that all is checked, and then click add user to Database. This should allow your username to access the database.

With Cpanel it is not always spelled out clearly (even though it is one of the best backend programs) how to do things. Post again if this doesnt solve the problem.

Right bascally I downloaded the whole thing again, deleted mine (except my config.php file) uploaded it to my site again and now it seems to work – I’m guessing some of the files didn’t upload the first time. Thans for everyones help.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar