Bottom

Theme Problems

• obatron
    Participant

@obatron

Versions: WordPress 3.9.2, bbpress 2.5.4, bbpress WP Tweaks 1.3.1
    Site: http://www.obatron.com/forums
    Theme: TwentyEleven

I have a child theme: twentyeleven-child with a style.css file in it, no customizations to it. I added a folder under it called css and copied the bbpress.css from the plugins tree to it to change the colors only (still working on colors so pardon if there are issues). I copied the sidebar-page.php file to bbpress into this folder.

My Forum page is blank, just titled Forums with a Permalink named http://www.obatron.com/forums/ and a template set as Default.

The problem: Forum index works fine, but when you go to a forum, the sidebar and the forum display overlap. I’ve tried various combinations of removing/moving the bbpress.php file to no avail. I also tried without the tweaks plugin, without the child template, and so on…

I tried going with just a full page and just use pages with the proper tags for login, etc, but then the forum index looks odd because it continues to use the sidebar template no matter what.

If I change the theme options to put the sidebar on the right, the forum index continues to work, but the forum page sidebar now appears below the forum…

Now, I’ve searched for this and see others occasionally complaining about similar, but have not seen an answer that works…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

the sidebar and the forum display overlap.

put this where you can put custom css and tell how it is.

#bbpress .singular .entry-content {
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 68.9%;
    float: right;
    }

obatron
    Participant

@obatron

I put it in styles.css under the twentyeleven-child, and then tried it in bbpress.css under twentyeleven-child/css, neither changed the behavior of the side bar overlap.

Robkk

@robkk

try this

.bbpress .singular .entry-content {
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 68.9%;
    float: right!important;
    }

Robkk

@robkk

did you create a bbpress.php and put it into your themes folder??

https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/getting-started-in-modifying-the-main-bbpress-template/

obatron
    Participant

@obatron

Still did not help. Yes, I

1. Created a wp-content/themes/twentyeleven-child folder
    2. Created a twentyeleven-child/styles.css file with the info from the instructions
    3. I copied twentyeleven/sidebar-page.php to twentyeleven-child/bbpress.php
    4. I created a twentyeleven-child/css filder
    5. I copied the bbpress.css file from the plugins/bbpress/templates/default/css folder to the twentyeleven-child/css folder.
    6. I modified the bbpress.css to change a few colors.
    7. I installed the plugin plugins/bbpress/templates/default/css and configured it to look at bbpress.php
    8. I chose Post Name int he Permalink Settings
    9. I created a page call Forums and ensured its Permalink was forums
    10. I tried both default and sidebar template for it.

I tried both of the above suggestions in style.css and bbpress.css in the child tree to no avail.

I would be good with going with a “wide” page and no sidebar and just putting creating pages for logins and so forth, however, the problem there is the index page ends up with a blank sidebar so looks funky.

Thanks four your help and suggestion though!

Robkk

@robkk

hmmm ill set up my local host on twenty eleven in a minute.

obatron
    Participant

@obatron

In playing around I noticed some odd behavior…

I decided to just try full width forums, however, the forum index always looked off to the right as if it had a blank sidebar (I copied page.php to bbpress.php in the child template folder).

I then created a new page and put the forum index short code in it. On this one, full width worked fine for everything. The installation instructions indicated to create a page with the same name as the forum root slug (forums) and you wouldn’t have to use the short code. I changed the forum root slug from forums to forums2 and put the short code in the forums page and full width worked fine.

Thus, what I found out, I can get full width to work okay if I don’t name the forums page the same as the root slug.

Still can’t figure out the sidebar thing though…

Bob

obatron
    Participant

@obatron

I spoke too soon, while pages that don’t share the root slug fulfill the full page, navigation inside the forums takes it back to the root slug which does not…so no joy for me.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar