Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Taking a look at bbPress 0.9

• What’s all missing in terms of features in 0.9 when we compare it to bbPress 1.0+ ?

• XMLRPC – but do we use it right now? I haven’t heard of anything using bbPress XMLRPC
    • WordPress matching backend

What else? I never used 0.9 much. BTW, I think most of the functionality a forum owner would need are covered by _ck_’s plugins ;)

I would like to hear from you guys.

Viewing 10 replies - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Greg
    Participant

@rebootnow

> two dozen users that insisted on using “Greg” as their display name and similar avatars?

With normal users in a healthy forum with a sense of community, duplicates will self correct. People will create unique pictures to identify themselves.

With malicious users, that’s a moderation issue and should be an isolated incident in a healthy forum.

In an unhealthy forum you have bigger problems than duplicate profile pictures.

Like I said earlier in the thread, a lot depends on the nature of the forum. If it is a tight knit community, then you really don’t need to compromise the user experience to cater for the edge case you describe.

But in a support forum I could imagine this being more of an issue so I wouldn’t use non-unique display names in that situation.

From what I see, people who are in favor of fork of bbPress 0.9 over 1.0+ are developers only.

If you haven’t voted yet, then you can vote here – http://poll.fm/239qh

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

BTW in a forum based system, how would you deal with two dozen users that insisted on using “Greg” as their display name and similar avatars?

You adopt my strategy https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/taking-a-look-at-bbpress-09#post-71655

Thanks for voting!

Instead of having a debate on approach to build something, lets take another chance to talk about forking bbPress.

As of poll right now, more than 70% are in favor of fork of bbPress 0.9 (You can take a look at the poll – http://poll.fm/239qh

What all will be required for a successful fork?

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

With normal users in a healthy forum with a sense of community, duplicates will self correct. People will create unique pictures to identify themselves.

Not the best solution in terms of usability however.

Poll changed overnight. Now only 40% of people are looking for a fork of bbPress 0.9 version and 60% for a fork of bbPress 1.1 version

@_ck_

How much the 0.9 version has actually gone through testing and how much we can be confident it being secured.

I know it may contain bugs, any code can but my curiosity lies in the testing & use it has gone through already.

If considered a fork, I think we need a few people on whom the people can count on for security updates.

What do you think?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Ash mate, you know how much I like you and your work, but that poll is never going to give even close to an accurate figure. To start with you don’t know why people are voting for each one, or how often, or who’s voting.

I mean, Matt came on here and said that 0.9’s not been looked at in a long time and BAM 1.1 starts to get more votes. Matt forgets to mention, the 1.0 branch has had the same number of releases in the last year as the 0.9 branch: namely 0 !!

How much the 0.9 version has actually gone through testing and how much we can be confident it being secured.

Well it’s had 2 years more testing than 1.0 in the wild, and generally (apologies in advance) by people who are happier coding/debugging/ working without a GUI than the folks using 1.0 branch. Plus, the WP forums were running 0.9 until last August (at least), so it was known to be very secure then.

I know it may contain bugs, any code can but my curiosity lies in the testing & use it has gone through already.

A sh*t load more than 1.0.

Rememebr 1.0 was (another) rewrite decreeed from “above”, and we cancelled all Beta testing, and it took 10 alphas to even get useable (pres Alpha6 isn’t compatible with after-alpha-6), and broke most plugins etc. The process of getting 1.0 out the door also led to some of the real wizards leaving the project behind (see Chip Bennet, Justin Tadlock, JJJ, _ck_ etc), and released it in a week, and we released an update to 0.9 at the same time as 1.0’s last update :)

In my opinion, as someone who uses both; 1.0 only has 2 things going for it: The Admin section and it has more Actions/Filters.

Replicating actions/filters into 0.9 is easy. As _ck_ said, getting a nice looking UI into 0.9 is a mini project.

==============================================

1.1 has some good work, nae, some great work.

It also has some rusheed work, to get it out the door for testing.

It has at least 1000 lines of changed code last I checked (and that wasn’t today or yesterday) and we still have 10 tickets open – all before we release for Alpha testing, and all before we get a new package of BackPress released (in theory) after WP3.0.1’s release.

If we finished all of those tickets this week, and packaged an Alpha testing release for Monday, there is no way 1.1 will be released before September. Infact, we’re looking at a late-September/October release at a minimum, unless we skip testing and bug fixes (again).

Lets take our time and look at 0.9 objectively when 1.1 is close to coming out. Rushing into forks is just as dangerous as rushing into WP-reliant plugins :)

Ash mate, you’re a very smart guy. Go grab a busy forum and duplicate it on your machine, and convert to 0.9. You’ll very quickly see some of the small issues with it, but you’ll also be amazed at just how quick and robust it is.

@Kevin

Thanks for your reply buddy! :)

Clears most of what I wanted to ask.

I agree with CK saying that we can achieve a better UI (mini project) similar to the WP so everyone can use it and feel the same.

Regarding replicating actions and filters, that can also be achieved over time if community comes up forward (or just a few real developers start exploiting it to use).

Once my schedule loosens up a bit more, I will take a look at bbPress 0.9 development. And I also agree on your point of not rushing into a fork before 1.1 is out. Also I need some time to get the real fundamentals of how it was build and how everything works under the hood.

But one thing remains unanswered, what all we will need to fork the project.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Rescued this post from Akismet.

Viewing 10 replies - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar