Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

tag.php access issue

• Hey Community,

I am having trouble accessing the tag.php page through clicking on the “tag” link. I am able to view tags in single view but no the tags page, i.e., if on tag single view I click on the “tags” link in:

My Forum » Tags » bbPress

Below is the error page I recieve.

“”

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

“”

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Orion

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What version of bbPress are you using?

Do you have a .htaccess file in bbPress’ bb-templates/ directory?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Adding this to the .htaccess in the forum root did it for me:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Basically, you need PHP5 to prevent that redirect error. If your server has PHP5, then this will resolve the issue for you.

This problem was mentioned and resolved here before:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/354?replies=11#post-1748

Thank you chrishajer & madawaffe,

I am on BBpress 0.74, and I checked my server settings which are…

Support for PHP 5

With PHP 5 support, you can program using the latest version of this server-side scripting language and take advantage of existing applications and add ons written in PHP 5. You can also run both PHP 4 and PHP 5 simultaneously on the same site.

I also tried uploading an .htaccess file to my forum root with the first line stating:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

And I still received the same error. After that I moved the file to my template directory, and then to my site directory, and I still had the same problem. I thought this was strange because I am receiving the same results as those mentioned in the post chrishajer linked.

I then called up my hosting service, Diablo Valley Hosting, which is a reseller of Godaddy, so it was Godaddy support. They then told me that in order to assure php5 I would have to change all of my extensions to “.php5.”

I asked and .htaccess, and was told that there was a solution, but they couldn’t offer support on it.

Thank you so much for the help thus far. I am not sure if there is a problem with my .htaccess file or something else, for I entered the line “AddType x-mapp-php5 .php” into the first line of the file. Anyhow, any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Orion

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

They will not offer to support .htaccess, but that’s OK as long as they let you use it.

Put that .htaccess (make sure it starts with a period) in your forum root, with the line:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

in it.

Then, make sure it’s working. Create a file called phpinfo.php in your forum root. Put this into it:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Then, access that URL http://www.yoursite.com/forum/phpinfo.php. The resultant page will have the PHP version at the top. You want to see PHP5.x.x there, not PHP4.x.x. Try it both with and without the .htaccess to see if it changes. If it’s already parsing php files as PHP5, then we have to dig into what’s not working. If php files are still being parsed as PHP4, the we need to figure out if the htaccess is working or not, or in the wrong location or something.

I asked about a .htaccess file in your templates directory, because in earlier versions we provided one that broke some people’s setups. We’ve removed it in later versions; you should not have a .htaccess file in any of your template directories.

bbPress should not need PHP5. I’d like to find the cause of this problem and fix it for good for everyone.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Michael, I do not have an .htacess in my templates directory. I wonder why switching to PHP5 makes this problem go away?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Is it possibly related to cookies and the domains they come from?

This problem can sometimes be caused by

disabling or refusing to accept cookies

My error was with Firefox 1.5.0.7 on Linux. Maybe it’s just coincidental it went away when the scripts were parsed by PHP5.

Thank you again chrishajer & madawaffe,

I created a phpinfo.php file and uploaded it to the forum root folder, and the PHP info with and with out the .htaccess file is…

PHP Version 4.3.11

I then tried saving the .htaccess file in several different formats including, Mac OS Western, UTF-8, UTF-16, & ASCII, and I was given an internal server error for UTF-8 & UTF-16.

I then tried creating an .htaccess directory access and password file with a .htpasswd file, and was given another server error.

So I am assuming, that outside of the issue of the tags.php working on php4, that there is an issue with my server in working with a .htaccess file. Hmmmm, there has to be a solution here, and I really would like to get this forum up and running, for I love the integration with wordpress.

I am going to call up my hosting service again and probe a bit more. If any ideas come about, I will be here at full attention. Thank you so much for your help again.

All the Best,

Orion

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I would be interested to hear if you can use .htaccess, even though it’s unsupported. It’s also possible that they allow some things in .htaccess and not others. Maybe their solution is to rename all .php files to .php5 (not a good solution IMHO.)

A separate issue is if the switch from PHP4 to PHP5 is actually required or if it appears to fix the problem coincidentally.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Googling a bit for htaccess and godaddy doesn’t give me much hope for that solution. Let’s hope there’s another one for the root of the problem.

here is a link to the phpinfo.php ::

http://ostardesign.com/forums/phpinfo.php

not sure if this helps… any how, I thought I would share a bit about my project.

ostardesign.com is a temporary url, this site is actually for a MMA publishing company. I was sold on wordpress after I read this article:

http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/edge/july2006/articles/article6/

I then became a true believer after building my personal site with WP. For Victory Belt I decided to run with WP and was originally going to go with phpBB, then Vanilla, then considered punBB for a bit, then found out about the tight integration with bbPress. The WP community in conjunction with the bbPress community had a huge influence on my decision. I was then sold when I found out about the plugin that automatically creates forum posts (http://dev.mbzeus.net/), for then I realized that the integration and community would only get stronger.

I like how light and fast bbPress is, I would like to focus on the discussions and interaction with the community, and I feel these elements would be refreshing in comparison to the other clunky mma bbs out there. And once Dr. Riddoch over at An-Archos creates his media plugin for bbPress, we’ll be set.

Anyhow, for those interested mma is getting some pretty big traffic, and we are expecting a lot of traffic to our site, for we are releasing books by BJ Penn and Randy Couture in the near future. There is actually a special on MSNBC tonight that is a prime example to the influx of interest in MMA, trailer @:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wF4ib2Ws0E

I just wanted to share, and I am hoping to make bbPress our solution, for I know I am going a bit out on a limb with such new software, but I believe the tree is very strong.

Also, our look and feel is created, the site location is currently the category and back-end development. One of my designers just recently started working on the look and feel of the css… just an FYI.

Thanks again for the help,

I am going to call up my hosting service now,

All the Best,

Orion

also, in safari I am getting this error:

Safari can’t open the page.

Too many redirects occurred trying to open “http://ostardesign.com/forums/tags.php?tag=”. This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected to open the original page.

Ahhh,

I got a solution! Yes!

It turns out Diablo Valley Hosting/Godaddy was only not supporting .htaccess solutions yesterday, I know, kind of strange.

But today was a different story. After a phone call, thank you Suzan, support sent me a email link to the following:

http://help.securepaynet.net/article.php?article_id=1082&topic_id=&prog_id=diablovalleyhosting&#38;

The text needed in the .htaccess for our servers is:

AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php

And now the tags.php link works… yes!

chrishajer and madawaffe, thank you again for your help. Your trouble shooting helped me with providing the right information to get a workable solution.

Hopefully this info will help with those working on other Diablo Valley Hosting or other Godaddy servers.

All the Best,

Orion

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

FYI – you should remove the phpinfo.php file, for security purposes.

Ok… thanks for that reminder on the phpinfo.php file.

I really want to know wy this works in PHP5 but not PHP4.

This needs to get fixed at the source.

startribe (or anyone who has seen this problem): Can you de me a favor? Unfix the problem, then add $bb->debug = 1; on the first line of bbPress’ config.php file.

Go to the tags page, and you should see some ugly text at the top of the screen. Can you paste that text here?

Thanks!

So10 has fixed it:

https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/543

Trent

Thank God this was fixed, and thank God I didn’t choose to run PHP 5.1.2 on the spencerp.net domain lmao.. All in all, I love Dreamhost as a host though!.. (*cough* Despite some little slowness of the servers.. haha)..

spencerp

mdawaffe,

I’m sorry, I just saw your request today, so I was not able to give your suggestion a try, but it looks like the issue was resolved.

I have been focusing on our templates for our WordPress site the last 2 weeks, but now I am back in the mix to get our forum up and running.

Its good to be back @ bbPress.

All the Best,

Orion

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar