Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Super Sticky Problem

• Hello, I noticed a small issue with BBPress that I have. When a topic has been super stickied it no longer shows up in its original forum. It only appears on the front page. Was this how super-stickies were intended to function? I would think that it should appear on the home page as well as within its original forum. Just a tip!

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Looking in the code, yes this is as intended.

Yes, I am having the same problem :/

Even though it is intended to behave like this many users find that confusing.

I’ve tried modifying the code in forum.php to include the $super_stickies like on the front page but without success…

<?php if ( $topics || $super_stickies || $stickies ) : ?>

Is there a workaround?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I think it’s confusing too and I am not sure why they did that.

You could try at the start of the forum.php template

global $super_stickies;

or maybe

$stickies=array_merge($stickies,$super_stickies);

but php may renumber the topics causing it to fail.

or try

$stickies=$stickies+$super_stickies;

Of course this will show all super stickies in each forum.

A real plugin would have to be written to do this properly.

This recently started happening to me when I upgraded to v .9… I don’t remember it being an issue in earlier versions.

Does anyone know if there are plans to fix this in future versions? Or is this the way it’s supposed to work from now on…

Ah sounds like it’s still an issue in Version 1.0-alpha-2:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/using-sticky-post

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You know, I’ve thought about this type of thing, and I think that bbPress really tries to hide the forum layout as much as possible. It doesn’t surprise me that it would work this way, as super stickies tend to really act like forum wide announcements than as stickies. That being said, showing them in a forum that’s already halfway hidden is a little redundant.

bbPress really does work much differently than your typical forum, and it takes a little massaging to make it feel like phpBB or vBulletin.

If that’s how it’s supposed to work, I could live with it. But the interface mentions Sticking a post in general versus Sticking a post to the “front”… but only one of those works seems to work as described.

So there seems to be a disconnect between what the interface implies, and how the feature actually works (at least, as I’m understanding it).

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar