Successfully Convert SMF 1.1.11 to bbPress 1.0.2
I found several posts about converting SMF to bbPress. Since I just got done with the conversion and it is still fresh on my mind, I figured I would share my notes on the process.
To convert SMF to bbPress, I had to:
-Convert SMF 1.1.11 to phpBB3 (3.0.7)
-Convert phpBB3 (3.0.7) to bbPress 1.0.2
I had SMF setup on a subdomain: forums.mysite.com
- I created a NEW database separate from the SMF database.
- In the root of forums.mysite.com, I created two directories “bbpress” and “phpbb”.
- I uploaded the uncompressed files of phpBB3 to the “phpbb” directory.
- I uploaded the SMF 1.1.x to phpBB3 converter script. It can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/converter/smf_1.1.x_to_phpbb3/
- When you install phpBB3, I installed it using the NEW database that I created. I followed the “phpBB Convert How To” guide which can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1213555
- At this point, your SMF forum should now be converted to phpBB3.
- Next, I uploaded the uncompressed files of bbPress to the “bbpress” directory and installed bbPress using the same NEW database as phpBB3.
- I used the phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter which is hosted on Google Code. The script is super easy to install and comes with instructions. It can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter/
- Optional: I logged into phpMyAdmin and deleted the tables prefixed with phpbb_ in the NEW database.
- Success. It is finished.
Honestly, after reading all the posts out there this whole process seemed rather daunting. Let me assure you that it is easier than it sounds.
Thanks to everyone’s notes that got me on my way and to the awesome folks out there that took the time to write these scripts to make it even possible.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.