Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Successfully Convert SMF 1.1.11 to bbPress 1.0.2

• I found several posts about converting SMF to bbPress. Since I just got done with the conversion and it is still fresh on my mind, I figured I would share my notes on the process.

To convert SMF to bbPress, I had to:

-Convert SMF 1.1.11 to phpBB3 (3.0.7)

-Convert phpBB3 (3.0.7) to bbPress 1.0.2

I had SMF setup on a subdomain: forums.mysite.com

• I created a NEW database separate from the SMF database.
    • In the root of forums.mysite.com, I created two directories “bbpress” and “phpbb”.
    • I uploaded the uncompressed files of phpBB3 to the “phpbb” directory.
    • I uploaded the SMF 1.1.x to phpBB3 converter script. It can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/converter/smf_1.1.x_to_phpbb3/
    • When you install phpBB3, I installed it using the NEW database that I created. I followed the “phpBB Convert How To” guide which can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1213555
    • At this point, your SMF forum should now be converted to phpBB3.

• Next, I uploaded the uncompressed files of bbPress to the “bbpress” directory and installed bbPress using the same NEW database as phpBB3.
    • I used the phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter which is hosted on Google Code. The script is super easy to install and comes with instructions. It can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter/
    • Optional: I logged into phpMyAdmin and deleted the tables prefixed with phpbb_ in the NEW database.
    • Success. It is finished. :-)

Honestly, after reading all the posts out there this whole process seemed rather daunting. Let me assure you that it is easier than it sounds.

Thanks to everyone’s notes that got me on my way and to the awesome folks out there that took the time to write these scripts to make it even possible.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Thanks for posting that Josh

Hi!!

Question: BBpress don’t use a wordpress database with the wordpress users?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

BBpress don’t use a wordpress database with the wordpress users?

https://bbpress.org/documentation/integration-with-wordpress/

“bbPress can share user data with an existing WordPress installation. All you need to do is specify the location of that database on installation or afterwards in the “WordPress Integration” section of the “Settings” area in your bbPress admin”

Thank you very much for your response!

But if I understand this tutorial, for the convert SMF to bbPress it’s not possible to use the same database?

(sorry for my bad english)

Space
    Participant

@bkno

@Josh – Thanks for posting this. Massively useful, I was unaware of a the conversion script.

@Sincever – I think the script will convert the SMF/phpBB users to bbPress users. You could then move all the tables into a single database, but that in itself wouldn’t change which table bbPress uses for users. This answers your question, but if you’re referring more to WordPress users vs bbPress users and reconciling that, I can’t comment as I’ve not tried the integration before.

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

I’ve make this with only one database (all 3 script in same database) but i don’t have found any way to convert a specific board (news board, atm used to publish article in home page with smf) in wordpress articles :/

I can try with rss but with this i can’t import also reply.

Any idea for this?

This did not work for me. The first time I tried it, I got as far as “Convert Posts” then got this:

GENERAL ERROR

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Data too long for column ‘user_url’ at row 1 [1406]

I then tried again (having no idea what to do), and got this error message:

SQL ERROR

Duplicate entry ‘1’ for key ‘PRIMARY’ [1062] followed by a bunch of text that seems to replicate the key.

Is there a solution for conversion the other way around?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar