Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Strange import failure – loop!

• steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

I got this strange inport failure on my site all of a sudden. I am trying to move from old bbpress to the latest. I did this once before, but had to wait for a while until some functions where sorted out. Now it’s all set and I tried again. The forums were reset, but deleting the conversion table sometimes fails. I don’t know what that means, but anyhow. The inport did just fine until it got stuck half way in the replys. I tried to stop and restart, but I couldn’t get it to run any further.

So then I reset and tried again. Now it keeps inporting the first topic over and over again. It never moves on. What happened? I tried everything. I even tried removing that first topic from the old forum. It now inports the next one, over and over again.

If I try to “Purge all information from a previously attempted import” it gladly starts to remove old data, but it never stops! It removes data a little to quick to be true, and it goes on for ever “deleting” far more rows than I have ever inported.

Something is completely wrong here, and I don’t have a clue πŸ™ Someone please help me! I am getting pretty frustrated here..

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Hmm. It’s actually inporting 3 topics, I didn’t look in the trash. One published, and two deleted ones. One of them is the one I deleted as explained in the previous post. I should have known that it would still be there.

It inports these 3 over and over again during “Calculating forum hierarchy (0 – 99)”.

I got phpmyadmin if there is something I should delete permanently…

Can you run through these steps:

1. Make sure you are using WordPress 3.5.1 & bbPress 2.2.4
    2. Run each of the bbPress 1.x recount tools /bbpress1/bb-admin/tools-recount.php
    3. Perform a forum reset on your bbPress 2.x /wp-admin/tools.php?page=bbp-reset
    4. Start a fresh import with the ‘Start Over’ option checked

The β€œPurge all information from a previously attempted import” is a known issue and it will run endlessly if the `bbp_converter_translator` table is empty and has nothing to purge or it cannot find the table. It is a bit funky but does not affect the actual import as there are other fallbacks in place if it cannot use this table. If you have to start over performing a ‘forum reset’ this does basically the same thing so in between import tries doing a forum reset ensures bbPress 2.x has no forums, topics or replies before you start your import.

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Hi Stephen, thank you for your answer!

I did what you said, except I am not using WP 3.5.1 yet because a couple of my plugins seems to have a problem with it.

However, the same thing happened again. The same 3 topics over and over.

What version of WordPress are you using?

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

I am still using 3.3.1. I can upgrade to 3.4, but thats it.

However, I could set up a Wp 3.5.1 testsite on another domain and try to import the forum there. If it works I can move the tables from that database to the current one. If I knew what tables to move. I know posts and replys are a wp_posts and wp_postsmeta, but I guess there is more information somewhere?

I would look updating whatever it is holding you back from upgrading to WordPress 3.5.1 for the security fixes 3.4 & 3.5 have introduced at a bare minimum.

That said give it a try on a test site and if that works use the builtin WordPress Import/Export tool to export all the forums, topics & replies and then import them https://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content#WordPress

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

I will be upgrading as soon as possible, no doubt.

I am setting up a test site right now, hopefully that works πŸ™‚

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Well that almost worked! It imports for a while (no loop, all good), but then I get this error. I don’t know if that is a memory issue or what?

WordPress database error: [User ‘steilenhang’ has exceeded the ‘max_updates’ resource (current value: 36000)]

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

I made the first step work. Waiting for a while and then just continuing did the job.

However I am having trouble with the WordPress import/export function. When I am about to import at the live site it wants me to manually fit the users who wrote the posts with the ones on the site. When you import from one site to another I can see that this is needed, but in my case the users are a exact match, and we are talking about a couple of thousands users.. *Scratching the back of my head*

Some progress at least which is a good thing…

The WordPress import has an option import_allow_create_users: return false if you only want to allow mapping to existing users and I think that should work for you to fix the mappings.

Details are here: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-importer/other_notes/

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Yes its getting there slowly πŸ™‚
    Aha, that might work. I wonder what it does when a user does not exist? There are some posts that belongs to deleted users. I guess I’ll find out soon enough πŸ™‚

Thank you very mutch for all your help so far!

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

I concluded that upgrading the WP and hopefully fixing the initial error is the best way. It has worked before, so it can’t be such a big problem.

Thanks again for your help Stephen!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar