Strange behaviour / bug: Getting locked out of topics…
I know this not necessarily is a bbPress-bug but it is closely tied to bbPress so I’ll post it here first, hoping that you have got an idea on how to debug / fix it.
>> WHAT IS HAPPENING?
My users get locked out of single topics after they access the link to their subscribed topic (“Notify me of follow-up replies via email”). I use a plugin called “bbPress Custom Reply Notifications” in order to easily modify the email’s output and thought of this one to cause the issue but I had to rule it out…
But from the start:
>> SYSTEM SPECS / INFO
// WP 3.5.2
// bbPress 2.3.2
The site in question is a membership-site which uses a membership-plugin in order to make our content accessable only after payment. We incorporated bbPress there and things are going OK (although the usage it is not offically supported by the membership-plugin’s authors – but that doesn’t say much). I use a plugin named “Theme My Login” in order to style the account-pages. We us OptimizePress as template.
// WishList Member 2.7.1
// Theme My Login 6.2.3
// Optimize Press 1.5a (German version)
Although I am listing “Theme My Login” f.ex., I think this most likely has to do with the membership-plugin & bbPress.
>> THE BUG
The issue only happens with singular users & singular topics (= the other topics and forums are functioning as intended). We have had numerous complaints so this ain’t due to a certain system-environment. How it happens:
– User A creates topic X, sets subscription via mail to “on”
– User B replies
– User A gets an email saying “User B replied to your post, go see it here: “http://mysite.info/thema/neuer-post-ohne/#post-5812″
– User A (state: not logged-in (!) // works when already logged-in…) clicks on link
– link “http://mysite.info/thema/neuer-post-ohne/#post-5812″ shows “you are not allowed to view this” (because User isn’t logged in yet)
– User A clicks on “login”, enters credentials, gets redirected to our default start-page (weak Usability, I know…)
– User A then navigates to the forum where he/she got the reply
— ERROR —
“you are not allowed to view this” (but user is logged in!)
>> WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR
– emptied the cache(s) (W3 Total Cache in use)
– deleted all the site’s cookies (problem persists!)
– (double-)checked the permission-settings fot the topic with the membership-plugin
>> HOW YOU CAN HELP
Maybe you have got an idea on how to fix / debug this – any help is greatly appreciated. I can provide to test-accounts within our development-system so you can check it out for yourself.
Again – thanks a lot & I am hoping for some insights on how to tackle this.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.