Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

some sections won't use templates

• I’m using the latest build of bbPress and Genesis (1.7.1). For the most part things are going smoothly, however there is one thing I have not been able to figure out.

I am using the default setup of bbPress and it’s running off of bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten theme (I have not installed or moved a bbpress theme inside my child theme directory).

Here’s what I don’t understand…

When viewing a specfic forum or post, such as http://allaboutdryeye.com/forums/forum/sufferers-corner/ things work fine, as expected.

*However*, when trying to view the forum index (http://allaboutdryeye.com/forums/), user profile (http://allaboutdryeye.com/forums/users/allabout/), and some other sections the page just shows what looks to be a dead loop.

After a little poking around, it almost seems like bbPress isn’t using the template file at all.

For example, on this page http://allaboutdryeye.com/forums/users/allabout/, the corresponding template file would be /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/single-user.php right?

I’ve tried editing the file (for testing purposes only, of course!) and echoing test lines, however they don’t show. It’s like some of the template files aren’t being picked up at all.

I have no idea what is going on. I’ve been beating my head against the wall on this one. WP_DEBUG turns up clean.

Any clues?

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tracked the problem down to an issue with Genesis.

I submitted the bug to Genesis trac. Not sure if a fix will make it to core, but if it doesn’t I’ll release a plugin that should prevent this issue from happening for others who are looking to run bbPress with Genesis.

Hi Jared,

I have also been beating my head against the wall on this, and was thrilled to find your post above.

May I ask what the bug is in Genesis?

What do you think are the odds core will be updated?

I’ll release a plugin that should prevent this issue from happening for others who are looking to run bbPress with Genesis.

Any chance you have the plugin done? :)

I am working on a pro-bono site for a not-for-profit, and trying to use BuddyPress 1.5 and bbpress 2.0. Been going ok, other than this issue.

Thanks!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Curious what the bug is also. Paste a link in here and I’m happy to see if there is something I can do in bbPress to fix it.

David Decker
    Participant

@daveshine

Hi there!

I had the same problems as Jared posted – also working with Genesis latest version. I test for a few weeks now and thought it was all my fault until I saw this thread here finally!

@Jared Atchison:

Any news on this what to change? – I saw your forum index and such all displaying properly – want that too :-)

Thanx for any help!

-dave :)

@Jared

The forum in site you have linked above looks great!

We are all waiting for the solution…

There are over 300,000 + sites running Genesis, and there will be a lot of bbpress users with this new outstanding version….

David Decker
    Participant

@daveshine

@WebEndev:

I can only emphasize, what you’ve just posted!!!

Eagerly waiting for a solution – I just want to use bbPress out of the box with Genesis!

Alright guys, sorry it took me so long to post back here.

I’ve written a quick post that details the problems (or at least, the ones I ran into) and have a quick plugin you can use as a starting point to hopefully get things working.

Genesis bbPress Extend

Like I said, this issue is strictly if you are developing on top of the Genesis Framework. If you are *not* using Genesis and having template issues, I’d recommend starting a new thread on it :P

@jjj if you have time to look over my post, let me know if my diagnosis seems right (err, accurate) and the fix seems appropriate.

cheers!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

So by removing all of the Genesis actions, bbPress is able to do what it needs to without any kind of conflict? Seems pretty straight forward. I could transform your code into a bbPress 2.0 core patch, but I’d be flying blind not having a copy to test with.

I would literally be taking exactly what you have and making bbPress load it like it does the Akismet and BuddyPress extensions.

Genesis has 2 functions that I have determined are causing the problems.

http://pastie.org/2469242 (/genesis/lib/structure/post.php lines 101-143 (as of 1.7.1))

The first function is the post image function. Users have the ability to automatically set image thumbnails to appear on the archive listings. However if they turn this on, when you go to a bbPress archive page a random image from the media library ends up on the top of the page. This is turned of by default in Genesis, but is widely used.

The second function is how Genesis displays post content. You can see, depending on how the user has Genesis configured, it uses the_excerpt or the_content_limit – which results in a dead loop.

The other things I did such as remove the post info/meta, breadcrumbs, etc are just purely cosmetic. They aren’t *needed* per say, but it can look screwy if they are outputted on some of the forum pages.

As long as Genesis is forced to always use the_content and the post image option is nuked, everything should always work smoothly.

If you want to explore the option of a core patch I’d be more than happy to help you with a patch and testing :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

David Decker
    Participant

@daveshine

Hi there!

Thanx to Jared for the plugin solution – working smoothly :) Awesome now I can use bbPress for a client site forum running with Genesis!

@John:

Thanx for the patch! – I’ve implemented this in my local rc4 of the bbPress plugin – but didn’t work yet! I assume the issue is from a wrong setting of the layout option?? Or some other function? Since I am still learning this whole coding stuff I cannot say what the issue is at the moment.

-dave :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Working on getting a copy of Genesis to test with.

@jjj – check your @me.com

@jjj

I’m having issues with full page layouts, and also integrating custom templates into the Genesis framework.

Will your changes to bbpress resolve issues with Genesis?

When do you anticipate the updates?

Thanks

Right now the patch is pretty much what the plugin is – just cleaned up and in a patch form. It needs further testing. The sole purpose of the patch/plugin is to help provide a few fixes so Genesis/bbP will have limited out of the box support for each other.

It doesn’t make any changes to the template files or the way they operate.

Hi Jared,

I followed each of your suggestions yesterday, and was only able to get a full width layout using one method – create a page and use a bbpress shortcode. This leaves me with less than optimal control of the page.

Every other method I tried resulted in a content-sidebar layout.

I followed your advice and removed all bbpress template files from my child theme directory, removed all bbpress code from functions.php, and essentially reverted back to the bbpress plugin vanilla/’out of the box’, along with your extend plugin.

What that resulted in was a content-sidebar layout….

I assume that Dave (above post) is having the same layout issues based on this – “I assume the issue is from a wrong setting of the layout option?? Or some other function?”

It seems that you are the only one to get it working…

So… I am at a loss on this one…

Thanks!

David Decker
    Participant

@daveshine

@WebEndev:

I am so sorry for you! I hope I could help you out soon. I got mine working with Jared’s plugin patch – I just experimentet with his code line for the layout option and have all working like I want it.

My above report you quoted was regarding the patch from John for bbPress core which was not working at that time (or the last time I tested it a few days ago…). So I am sorry if you got confused because of my report…

Please have also a look here and especially for Nathan’s posts:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1622

I hope this helps a bit right now. I am knee deep in important client work and might get back later here on…

-Dave :)

@dave & @jared

I was finally able to make it work. Let’s just say that BuddyPress complicated it somewhat, in combination with too many things going on in this site, in combination with my ineptitude. :)

Jared – plugin works great – many thanks for your time and patience

Glad you got it figured out :D

For anyone who stumbles on this topic: the plugin linked to above has been tested with Genesis 1.7.1, WP 3.2.X, bbP RC 4, and *several* Genesis themes – so far I have found zero issues.

The patch still needs more testing and tweaks, however. That’s next.

@Jared

I just noticed that I have navigation at the bottom, showing page 1 2 Next

Did you have this problem? What did you do to remove the nav?

Thanks

Patch update. Still needs testers :)

@WebEndDev

Try adding this to the plugin:

remove_action('genesis_after_endwhile', 'genesis_posts_nav');

If that works then I will update the patch/plugin

Works Jared.

I knew about

remove_action(‘genesis_after_endwhile’, ‘genesis_posts_nav’);

but assumed for some reason that you had no issue with nav… I don’t know what my deal is…

Thanks!

Alright, marking this as done.

Latest round of commits fixes everything, including pagination. Enjoy Genesis goodness.

//edit: i cant spell >_<

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar