Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Showing BuddyPress hidden group forums to group members on bbPress forum index

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

suggest you try

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

which should let you set them up the way you want

LMD
    Participant

@louisedade

Thanks – I was hoping to avoid another plugin to do something an exisiting plugin can (should?/will eventually?) be able to do. I want to keep BuddyPress for its other features, and although groups are currently assigned, eventually there will be groups that people can join themselves.

I will try that other plugin for now and just disable to BP Groups component.

Jo_shi
    Participant

@jo_shi

I was looking for the same solution @louisedade. If the plugin has an option to use the bp-groups instant of creating new groups, that would be very usefull.

@louisedade Thanks, we have a ticket somewhere in our bug tracker Trac that relates extremely close to what you are looking for, it is slated to be looked at for the next release of bbPress 2.6. Basically bbPress and BuddyPress each do their own hidden and private things differently and as a result of that there are a handful of permutations and combinations we need to tweak and fix so they work as expected.

LMD
    Participant

@louisedade

@netweb That’s good to know! I’ve got the plugin suggested above working, but it’s not as flexible as BuddyPress in the way groups are managed (for some reason you assign a group to a user instead of a user to a group, which means a user can not belong to more than one group — so, not ideal unless you have mutually exclusive groups).

Robin W

@robin-w

(for some reason you assign a group to a user instead of a user to a group, which means a user can not belong to more than one group — so, not ideal unless you have mutually exclusive groups).

That was just the way I happened to write it – but since you can assign forums to multiple groups, I’m not sure what you cannot achieve? Do give feedback, as if I’m missing a trick I ought to think about it ! 🙂

Jo_shi
    Participant

@jo_shi

@robin-w
    For me I have to manage more groups to achieve the same result.

Example: I have event and usergroup based forums. There are people that belongs to a specific event and are in a usergroup and people who are in a different event but in the same usergroup. And than I have people who are in the same event but different usergroup. So for three people with this configuration I have to make three groups. If the community is growing I can’t handle this. To assign people to more than one group and each group has its own forum(s), I have less management work.

Your plugin will be very fine if you build in an option to use buddy press groups instead of the groups made with your plugin.

Robin W

@robin-w

@jo_shi

Thanks for that, very useful – if 2.6 doesn’t fix, I’ll revisit – I originally wrote the plugin just for bpress, but given a significant number who use buddypress with it, that would be useful if it isn’t going to be made redundant by 2.6.

LMD
    Participant

@louisedade

@jo_shi @robin-w Yes, that’s the same issue I have.

People who need access to more than one private forum, but not the the whole of the group they belong to needs access. So they would have to belong to a group on their own. For a couple of people that manageable, but not when it gets to double (or triple!) figures.

The addition of the new User Management screen for adding users to groups (instead of having to go to each profile) is handy, though.

Robin W

@robin-w

The addition of the new User Management screen for adding users to groups (instead of having to go to each profile) is handy, though.

Great, glad you like that !

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar