Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Show funny characters in usernames

• intellivision
    Participant

@intellivision

I’ve tried editing usernames in the db to no avail.

How can I have users like $tevie show the “$” on their posts in topic.php — just show the whole name. Out of the box, bbPress simply ignores the funny chars, so we see “tevie” as the post’s author.

ASCII equivalents too, like the copyright symbol (damn phpBB loose username validation).

I’m willing and able to edit the few usernames in the db by hand. I have a few of these funny char names from my port from phpBB.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • add a filter for bb_user_sanitize to allow those characters you need (choose carefully!). Check line 114 in formatting-functions.php for the parameters which you can use in your filter.

I personally don’t agree to allow users having fancy or funny usernames. You may encounter more problems that you have never thought.

intellivision
    Participant

@intellivision

I know, I know. I’ve been running my forum since 2002, and these people are very connected to their names. Blame phpBB for allowing this stuff. Thanks for your idea… I’ll rock it today.

Just to be clear, does your solution allow new funny char usernames, or show existing? Because I need the latter. I don’t need/want new FCUs.

I only tested one case, the dollar sign ‘$’ on my testing forum with commenting out the entire function bb_user_sanitize except last line. I can register with ‘$’ in username, post with that account and the username is showed correctly.

intellivision
    Participant

@intellivision

The more I look at that function, the more I don’t want to f**k with it. I think you’re right — it would open some unsavory doors.

I’ll mess more with display_name in the user table, for the affected users… see if I can’t get that to work.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar