Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Set depth of indent for threaded replies…

• crzyhrse
    Participant

@crzyhrse

I’ve been all through everything I could think of in the wp directory and the bbpress directory looking for where the depth of the indent of the threaded replies is set, so I can change it a bit, to about half of what it presently is, hoping this is possible…

If someone could please point me to the right place it would be sooo great…

🙂

wp 3.8.1
    bbpress 2.5.2

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• crzyhrse
    Participant

@crzyhrse

It occurs to me to add that I’m nearly illiterate when it comes to code so including the code I’m looking for and what I would want to change would be helpful… Thanks…

Robin W

@robin-w

You should be looking at the bbpress.css

Suggest you look for Topic and reply content and look at padding

crzyhrse
    Participant

@crzyhrse

Thanks Robin and hi again… 🙂

That doesn’t find anything that seems to pertain, plenty of padding in the normal sense for various aspects of replies… And pertaining to replies is what I’m looking for because that is where the nesting (offsetting? indenting?) or threading occurs, per the Reply threading setting in the forum settings section of the Admin settings section…

I’ve searched through directories everywhere that made sense, php and css, for terms like nest, thread, indent, offset… found nothing… It would need to be some sort of code that recognized whether it was a first, second or third reply, etc, and also somehow say how much to indent… It would also seem to need to some way be affected by the setting for it, as mentioned above…

I was kinda hoping to maybe attract John James Jacoby’s attention on this, noticing how much he seems to know in the various support areas I’ve looked over time..?

This would seem to be something that would be helpful to others as well..? The default indent distance I believe is much more than is needed to show nesting, and the less it indents the less the following indents will be crowded to the right, don’t know but maybe even get cut off…?

Thanks… It is nice when someone replies, doesn’t always happen… 🙂

John.

crzyhrse
    Participant

@crzyhrse

Got it..!

I’t’s like going on an easter egg hunt and actually finding a real egg… 🙂

I measured the offset with a little pixel yardstick that plugs into Chrome, got 50px and searched the bbpress directory for that, and found this in the bbpress.css you pointed me to above:

#bbpress-forums ul.bbp-threaded-replies {
    	margin-left: 50px;
    }

changed that to:

margin-left: 25px;
    }

Put it into the theme’s child with the other bbpress css changes I have there, and it worked… Perfectly… Hoping it might be helpful for others, or in your crib, Robin..?

Curiously, in searching also found:

in both of these-
    bbpress-rtl.css
    bbpress-rtl.min.css
    this
    #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-threaded-replies{margin-right:50px}

and in this-
    bbpress.min.css
    this
    #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-threaded-replies{margin-left:50px}

All of which looks like no css I’ve seen, in each file one very, very, very long continuous line of code … Am wondering if there is effect from the above for other sorts of screens or browsers, or something..? If I changed these to 25px I’d likely do it directly in the files in the bbpress directory, and keep a record for bbpress updates…

Leaving it alone for now, but in case someone looks in here and has any thoughts..?

John.

Robin W

@robin-w

John, really pleased that you tracked it down, and yes I’ll add it to the styling crib when I get a moment ! Often I spend hours searching for the wrong thing, the solutions here are often easy and obvious but only after you have worked them out !

The code

#bbpress-forums ul.bbp-threaded-replies{margin-left:25px;}

is exactly the same as

margin-left: 25px;
     }

The computer simply ignores gaps, and coders only write it that latter way to make it easier to read.

You ought to start using a child theme if you haven’t already got one. (just google child theme video, and you’ll get lots of help). it’s very quick and simple and does not affect you main theme, just allows you to add without losing on updates. Then you would create a directory in that called
    css viz wp-content/themes/yourchildthemename/css and copy your amended bbpress.css file into that. bbPress will then use that, and you won’t lose changes.

Great that you’re fixed !

crzyhrse
    Participant

@crzyhrse

I thought that might be the case… Text Wrangler wrote it out that way, but what threw me a tad is that it doesn’t write out it out that way for the bbpress.css, just those two files… Maybe those files were just written and put into bbpress without the typical spaces, tabs and returns..?

I do use a child, have since I began with my theme… Also the snippets plugin… Just that some changes I’ve made are to other than what can be affected through the child and the snippets plugin, and keep records of course for those…

So maybe css in the theme child overrides all css, not just what I think of as the primary css files like bbpress.css..? Even these other files mentioned above..?

Am curious now what the “margin-right” css is applying to…?

I continue to enjoy learning about all this…

🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar