Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

seems simple, but i’m stumped

• greenergrass

@greenergrass

i have downloaded bbpress and uploaded files to server.

on the first step, where it asks for database name, username and password, the username and password are correctly filled in already. when i manually fill in the db name “forum” i get this error:

“There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.

Please check the settings, then try again.”

I have read through the forums and not found anything that works…

I am trying to install on an add-on domain (www.roninbrush.com/forum) and as per other help threads I have tried reinstalling one level up, as well as on the main user domain (guysunderpressure.com). none of which worked

in another thread it said to fill in the db host with something similar to:

mysql.roninbrush.guysunderpressure.com rather than localhost.

this did not work either.

i’m sure i’ve missed something incredibly simple, but it’s beyond me. any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

also listed below are the perl and php connection strings (if that helps at all)

Perl

$dbh = DBI->connect(“DBI:mysql:guysu2_forum:localhost”,

“guysu2_bradford”,”<PASSWORD HERE>”);

PHP

$dbh=mysql_connect (“localhost”, “guysu2_bradford”,

“<PASSWORD HERE>”) or die(‘Cannot connect to the database because: ‘ . mysql_error());

mysql_select_db (“guysu2_forum”);

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • First question – user and password – ok, but have you created a database “forum” and plug user/pass into it?

greenergrass

@greenergrass

yes, (i think so)

my hosting service uses cPanel, which is pretty user friendly and there is a spot for MySql databases where i can add databases and users

I have added a db named “forum” to which it adds my account name guysu2 (guysu2_forum)

same with username “bradford” to which it adds account name (guysu2_bradford)

I have tried both for set up purposes, both yield the same response.

and bradford is a user with all privileges in forum db.

it all seems to be up and running… is there a way to double check?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Double check:

If your forum is visible, it worked. If not, then it didn’t. Can you post the URL?

greenergrass

@greenergrass

well, i’m not real sure if it is “visible”; so that probably means two things (1) i’m a little in over my head here and (2) this is probably the problem… my site URL where i want bbpress is http://www.roninbrush.com/forum , but i have a feeling this isn’t what you need…

it does show up in phpMyAdmin as a database. it just isn’t populated with anything.

i guess i was under the impression that i wouldn’t need to know a whole bunch about database programming and that the installer would do most of the heavy lifting for me… please let me know what my next course of action should be.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar