Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Sanitizing user names

• Hi!

I have an old issue with bbpress-wppress integration that I can’t solve.

I use this wp-plugin to sanitize user names;

Insensitive

What this plugin does is that whenever a user registered as “Joe” tries to log in as “joe”, “jOe”… can login.

However bbpress is not compatible with this plugin, when activited bbpress reports this error;

Catchable fatal error: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in D:wampwwwwordpresswp-includesformatting.php on line 453

In formatting.php line 453 obviously we have wordpress function sanitize_user and it seems bbpress doesn’t like to have this function modified.

I just wanted to ask if anybody knows another way to sanitize usernames because it is a pain to have all the time people complainig that they can log in because they registered as “Joe” and try to access with “joe” :-)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • I’m looking at trying this with http://www.theblog.ca/wordpress-case-insensitive-login but … yeah, can we sanitize for bbpress too?

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

The sanitize_user() function is the same in bbPress as it is in WordPress. Even the filter names are the same. Still, WordPress plugins don’t generally work in bbPress without some modification.

Hey Ipstenu,

The plugin you suggested seems to work after a wp-bbpress integration! thanks a lot :)

In my case, I’m forcing registration and login through wp. I tried registration through bbpress before, and I think you run into a lot of problems.

The sanitize_user() function is the same in bbPress as it is in WordPress. Even the filter names are the same. Still, WordPress plugins don’t generally work in bbPress without some modification.

If it is the same function, in my opinion this feature should be in the core of both, wb and bbpress. It has no sense to allow double registrations like “John” and “john”, don’t you think so?

I’m on WP 2.7/BB 1.0a5trunk, so sending everyone to login/register through WP won’t work for me. Yet.

I’ll have to read up on how wp_authenticate translates to the BB world to have a go at.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar