Rewriting?

• haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

Hi everyone,

Currently my forum is located in something like:

example.com/dir/forum/

But I want to rewrite it to be like this:

example.com/forum/

Since WordPress can do that, I was hoping bbPress can too, but I’m not sure how. Is there some setting I can change?

Also secondary to that is that if there is no setting for such an option, can I just move the “forum” directory out of “dir” and into the root, and change the “bbPress address” to force it to physically be like “example.com/forum/” or would that screw things up?

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

I’m not sure if people don’t know how to do it, or if it’s not possible, or if I’m just not explaining it clearly enough… So I’ll try again:

Right now, physically, the folders are arranged like so:

root.com/folder/bbpress

The address:

root.com/folder/bbpress

also works and goes to the forum just fine.

However, I want to keep the physical folders arranged that way, and make the address:

root.com/bbpress

WordPress itself has the exact same option under “Settings” by changing “Blog address (URL)” to whatever.

Any help would be appreciated!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

Hi chrishajer,

example.com has stuff like htaccess, index.php, php.ini, robots.txt

example.com/folder/ is the WP install that’s integrated with the forum

and example.com/folder/bbpress/ is the aforementioned forum

:)

haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

Just wondering if anyone has the solution…

haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

I’ve been trying to get this but I don’t really know what would allow this as I’m relatively new to websites, and I don’t know if this is even possible. Does anyone who knows what I’m talking about above know if this is possible for bbPress right now?

mrhoratio

@mrhoratio

Hey I’m been trying to get this to work also. And have posted to some other similar threads here, but there haven’t gotta a solution working.

Here’s what I’ve learned.

1. From what I gathered, the problem is with how bbPress redirects its pages. Even if you have the proper mod_rewrite rules, bbPress will automatically redirect the rewritten URL to the full URL that it thinks the page is supposed to have. This basically makes custom mod_rewrite useless.

2. You can prevent bbPress from redirecting by fooling bbPress into thinking it should have a different URL than its supposed to. You can do this by modifying the get_forum_link, get_topic_link, get_user_profile link, etc. functions in the template-functions.php file. The idea is to use pattern matching to strip out the base directory from the URL.

function get_user_profile_link( $id = 0, $page = 1 ) {
    $user = bb_get_user( bb_get_user_id( $id ) );
    $rewrite = bb_get_option( 'mod_rewrite' );
    if ( $rewrite ) {
    if ( $rewrite === 'slugs' ) {
    $column = 'user_nicename';
    } else {
    $column = 'ID';
    }
    $r = bb_get_option('uri') . "profile/" . $user->$column . ( 1 < $page ? "/page/$page" : '' );
    } else {
    $r = bb_get_option('uri') . "profile.php?id=$user->ID" . ( 1 < $page ? "&page=$page" : '' );
    }

$r = str_replace('forums/profile/' . $user->$column , "profile/" . $user->$column, $r);
    return apply_filters( 'get_user_profile_link', $r, $user->ID );
    }

3. If you strip out the base directory from the URL however, it makes bbPress think you’re no longer logged in, and you can’t log in. I still can’t figure out a fix yet.

Seems like a lot of people are having issues with mod_rewrite in bbPress. Hopefully the next update will resolve some of these issues.

haagendazs1

@haagendazs1

mrhoratio,

Thanks a lot for the input. Sucks that it isn’t working out for a lot of people. I guess I’ll just live with it (for now?), and patiently wait for something out there. :) Thanks again

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.