Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Retrieve the “secret” value

• bbolman
    Participant

@bbolman

First: what is the “secret” option set in the WordPress database that bbPress asks for when setting up WP/BB integration in the installer?

Second: Is there some sort of easy way to access the “secret” value? At the moment, I can’t access phpmyadmin, so I’m wondering if there is some WordPress plugin or script that could do this for me?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I am interested to hear what this is. I’ve never heard of a secret between bbPress and WordPress…

What is it that you’re unable to do (other than access phpMyAdmin)?

I think the secret is the salt used by WP in its password hashing. For bb and wp to hash passwords the same way, they both need to know the salt. I think that you can set the secret in wp’s config file. All this info is in wp’s trac tickets in greater detail and accuracy.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

The “secret” in the installer is only relevant once the new cookie creation methods in WordPress trunk are ported across to bbPress.

That should be soon.

Matching it with the secret in WordPress is only necessary for integrated installs.

Furthermore, there are two secret values. One in the config file, and another in the database.

The only way to retrieve them from WordPress at this stage is to look at the config file and to manually query the database.

I realise this is messy at the moment and I am trying to get things up to parity with the current WordPress trunk.

basher

@csirifiszkio

Hi guys!

I’m new to WP and BBpress too. So far I couldn’t integrate the forum into my WP install, but I found the secret value:

I logged in as admin into WordPress, and visited the options menu. In the addressbar modified the options-general.php part of the url to options.php and it showed the secret value. Is that right or I did something wrong? :)

With WP integration, at the third step of the bb install, I can’t select a Key master from the dropdown list because there’s no user listed. So I can’t finish the setup. At the first step, do I have to set the BB database table prefix to match my WP installs table prefix?

Cool, going via options.php sounds good.

When you integrate, you musn’t give them the same prefix or some tables will collide. You need to set these three in your config.php though, if you haven’t already. Obviously change them to your appropriate values, these are just mine.

$bb->wp_table_prefix = 'wp_';  // WordPress table prefix.  Example: 'wp_';
    $bb->wp_home = 'http://localhost/wordpress'; // WordPress - Options->General: Blog address (URL) // No trailing slash. Example: 'http://example.com'
    $bb->wp_siteurl = 'http://localhost/wordpress'; // WordPress - Options->General: WordPress address (URL) // No trailing slash. Example: 'http://example.com'

basher

@csirifiszkio

Thanks fel64, I got through the setup now. :) I installed BBpress without WP integration because it told me that I’ll be able to do after install, in the admin menu.

So I did. After install I logged in and went to the Integration with WordPress menu and filled in the required fields. After saving changes I couldn’t go back to the Admin menu, because the option went away.

In the upper left corner it says: “Welcome, admin! View your profile (Log out)” Before integration there was an Admin option too to access the Admin menu.

The only thing now I can do is to post into the default forum as a member. Any idea?

Yeah, lost your capabilities. Look in the wp_usermeta table and delete the entry with meta_key capabilities if I remember rightly.

basher

@csirifiszkio

After installing bbsync, all works fine. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar