Categories
Search
Bottom

Question to Matt Mullenweg about bbPress & multiple wordpress.org forums

• _KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

Reference to your post # 71333

_KB_, could you start a new thread with any outstanding questions you have?

First of all thanks for giving me a chance, I’ve a question and some thoughts! hope you’ll like it.

Question:-

About Multiple Integration? (One WordPress Vs Multiple bbPress Standalone)

Description:

Currently people are just able to set integration with one wordpress to one bbpress install,If they want to run multiple boards then they are stick to install multple bbpress installs, after that they are just unable to set cookies integration over multiple boards ( Shared users integration and database integration works perfect, its not a big deal!). Yep, You’ve done it!, If I login to my http://wordpress.org/support/ then I don’t need to login again to WP Blackberry, WP iOS, or WP for Android Forums, I can still see my online status there. Can you shed some light how did you set it? ( Just Cookies integration over multiple boards).

Thoughts:

#-1:- Please don’t kill the bbpress standalone version, after bb-plugin’s announcement. Because sometimes some people just want to run a 100% community board ( without wordpres or any other platform), then this bbpress standalone version will be perfect for their needs.

#-2:- bbpress-plugin version should have a functionality; One bbpress per blog in wordpress mu

#-3, For standalone it may call BBMU.

Thanks, I’m really curious for your response.

Cheers

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Thanks for starting a new thread. Some of your sentences are unclear to me, so if I misunderstand a question just rephrase it and I’ll do my best to answer it.

The WordPress.org integration is done through a shared user table and the same settings for cookies. It is a bit of a hack right now because WP and bbPress have a different idea of how those global tables should look and fight to modify them, which is what took down WordPress.org the other day. (It’s very slow to modify the schema of a user table with hundreds of thousands of rows.)

As for running multiple instances of bbPress, on different domains even, we actually did a fair amount of work for that (was going to call it mubb.org) and it’s the code that currently powers TalkPress.com. However it’s not release quality and it becomes moot because once bbPress is a full WP plugin you get multi-site for free from WP’s built-in MS feature, so you could run as many bbPresses as you like from a single install.

Is there any timetable when the bbPress plugin project would be ready?

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

It’ll be a while yet I’m sure? If we go anything by the 1.2 Milestone on the bbPress Trac, it says another 5 months away, and remember that at the moment we’ve only got Pete Mall and JJJ working on it!

@Matt Mullenweg: Glad to see you around here again! :)

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

I’ve set my hopes for a Christmas Alpha ;)

@Matt… so, are you planning on killing bbpress standalone or not? Why do you keep ignoring the question that 90% of the members here are wondering?

And what about the future of bbpress.org? Even an “I’m not sure yet” would be helpful.

It blows my mind that you don’t see the massive potential for an improved standalone version. You don’t even have to be that involved…

Screwing bbpress into a dumbed down plugin will just be another “Fireboard” like it was on Joomla… anyone remember? Complete chaos and confusion. You can’t try to please all demands with a middle-ground decision that accomplishes none of the above.

It only makes sense that there is a bbpress standalone with powerful plugins, that can integrate with WP. If you so desperately want a plugin, than make it a tiny lightweight little bugger that is for “mini forums” or something.

And again, where does this all leave backpress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I think bbPress as a plugin is going to win a lot of people once it’s ready and out in the wild. :D

Erlend, will try my darnedest to deliver :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Oh come on. Is it even a question that as a plugin for the largest blog software (both in memory/disk size and number of users) it will be popular? I mean was that honestly a worry?

You’ll probably exceed bbPress standalones 3-year download numbers for BOTH versions combined in just a few months with front-page advertising on wordpress.org

But you certainly are not going to get anyone who is NOT using WordPress to install WordPress just to create a forum. There are far better options out there.

I mean the hosting requirements alone for someone running WP + bbpress plugin will be significant. There is absolutely no way they will be able to run an active forum without caching.

I fully expect Automattic to acquire a caching plugin and start including it with the core in 2010, especially since it meets Matt’s 80% use requirement.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I think if there was such a thing as optimism police, they would live in these forums. :)

I also think, the people we will win over, are everyone that thinks this is the worst thing ever to happen since burnt bread. :)

@JJJ hell no you won’t. Just ask Joomla. And Mambo. And…

This is the end of bbpress. This is what happens when you have a company of less than 20 people, all juvenile suck-ups, making long-term decisions. They just don’t get it.

If man-child Matt won’t publicly admit it, then it must be true. You should go hang out with Mark Zuckerberg you guys are perfect for each other.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

But you certainly are not going to get anyone who is NOT using WordPress to install WordPress just to create a forum. There are far better options out there.

You’re probably right. Yet allow me to give an example of how major plugins like bbPress and BuddyPress complement WordPress in a way that greatly adds to its appeal (i.e. grows the customer base beyond those interested in WordPress)

Much like WordPress, our project (jMonkeyEngine) is a continuation of someone else’s work. When we picked up the reins of the jmonkeyengine.com website, we were stuck with three separate content systems (SMF, DokuWiki, WordPress) and a mess of custom code. We looked at several options, like:

– Extend SMF (no doubt the heart of our community activities) into a full-scale CMS

– Tie all systems together with a solution like Atlassian’s Crowd

– Replace our custom front page with Joomla! and use JFusion to tie all four tightly together.

– Replace everything with a widely extended Joomla!

We practically tried all of those options and more in practice, either in testing environments or on our live site. Meanwhile I’d been looking at complete ‘community solutions’, like Elgg, OpenWack, JomSocial, BuddyPress…

(I definitely looked at Drupal as well, but they just didn’t seem to have anything near as simple as say JomSocial that just goes ‘boom, now you can start build your community).

Then bbPress came to BuddyPress, and I made a decision. I proposed an overhaul and we got moving:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=13934.0

The only reason we’re not spamming press-boards with ‘look at us!’ links yet is because we made the decision to move everything over at once, and that includes the risky decision of adopting the BuddyPress-Wiki plugin (every other essential has been covered by core features) to replace our DokuWiki. With D.P. Cartwright’s dedicated help we’re just about there though.

Erm, point ahoy!

So the point I’m trying to make is, we never stopped to consider WordPress as a CMS, until BuddyPress arrived as the major complement to fulfill our every need in one package, as opposed to 20+ plugins. Having used WordPress for my own portfolio page and general sandbox play I already knew how intuitive (extremely so when compared to Joomla!) and easy to extend it is. When the last remaining piece of the puzzle arrived, the choice was a no-brainer. I imagine many will come to the same realization with bbPress.

I know I did not prove you wrong; I just figured people might find this brief case study interesting.

I originally used WordPress for my blog but now I use bbPress for my blog. I have no plans on ever installing WordPress again since bbPress acts as my blog while functioning like a forum. :D

If bbPress was formed into a plugin instead of a standalone script, I will continue using it and do me and my team will do our own coding/bug fixes.

_KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

@ Matt Mullenweg Thanks Man for your response, I really sorry, if you did not understand my sentences, I try again to explain them,

No-1 – How did you set cookies integration b/w various wp forums?

No-2 – Did you apply the same procedure for all forums like this bbPress Integration Tutorial?

No-3- If you apply the same procedure ( link above ) for all forums then why it did not work for us, Did you apply some extra techniques to work them together? Can you plz describe them?

No-4 – Shared user integration and Share database works for us, we just need cookies integration over multiple bbpress instances.

Additional Questions:

No-5: Is hosting matters in cookies integration?

No-6: If I install multiple bbpress instances (right now), then after (in future ) WP-bbP-Plugin’s announcement can I switch from standalone to bbPress-Plugin with same plugins, database, users, content, without losing anything???

Need Your Suggestion:

I’ve prepared One wordpress with 100+ bbPress Instances, Should I launch my project? Or should I wait for Plugin?

Humble Request to others:

Its my humble request to all people who are in this topic, Please For God Sake don’t deface my topic, don’t go off topic, this topic is becoming our future, try to understand, stay focus.

A Wish for Matt:

I’m not against to any of your action. If you’ve planned to make bbpress a plugin then definitely you knows its pros and cons, SO, best of luck, and my all well wishes and We are with you!.

I’ll do my best to answer it

I’m hoping that you’ll again give me a smart response.

Thanks

Cheers

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

@wtfmatt2 – Please bug off and stop ranting. Either that or articulate your responses into a respectful manner. Matt and co. are doing their best. Ranting and whining is achieving nothing more than making you look like a complete tool.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

KB: “after that they are just unable to set cookies integration over multiple boards”

My cross-cookie plugin allows you to set cookies over multiple domains running bbPress and WordPress. There are a few sites using it to share a cookie over several installs.

_KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

@_ck_ i’m running multiple bbpress instances like

example.com/bbpress1

example.com/bbpress2

example.com/bbpress100

Is your plugin will work for this situation?

Also curious for matt’s response.

Thanks

_KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

ck, Reference: see it

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/demo-one-wordpress-vs-multiple-bbpress

(activate it, its rescued from akismet)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Yes, there are already sites using it that way.

In fact if they are all using the same domain “example.com” then you don’t even need an extra plugin to do it.

Set all the cookie paths to the domain root. /

Point all the user tables to the same db.

Setup the same cookie keys/hash and done.

This wasn’t really a question for Matt unless in general people want to know how a bbpress plugin would handle multiple installs. As far as I could guess, you’d have to install multiple copies of WP.

@_ck_ awesome plugin you have there

I guess all your plugins are tagged https://bbpress.org/plugins/tags/_ck_

right?

And I believe even your updated plugins support 0.9 ?

_KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

Thanks _ck_ besides my cookies related question (now I’ll ask about it in my other thread), also I’ve asked a question about the transformation the data from standolone to plugin.

No-6: If I install multiple bbpress instances (right now), then after (in future ) bbpress-Plugin’s announcement will I able to switch from standalone to bbPress-Plugin with same plugins, database, users, content, without losing anything???

P.S I think matt is no more on bbpress, or not interested in my question.

Non-plugin bbPress development is going to continue until we have a perfect importer so people will be able to bring their content out of the legacy codebase.

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

_ck_: As far as I could guess, you’d have to install multiple copies of WP.

Not with WordPres 3.0 anyway, 1 install, multiple sites! :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

<cite>ashfame</cite>

I guess all your plugins are tagged https://bbpress.org/plugins/tags/_ck_

right?

And I believe even your updated plugins support 0.9 ?

Unfortunately the plugin section is still broken and does not import tags so the _ck_ tag is no longer complete there (update: someone appears to have fixed it in the past 24 hours)

For now this is the only way to find them all:

http://bbshowcase.org/forums/topic/_ck_-plugin-catalog-index

Virtually 100% my plugins will support 0.9 (except ones specifically made to “fix” 1.x)

<cite>Mark McWilliams</cite>

Not with WordPres 3.0 anyway, 1 install, multiple sites! :)

Well, multiple BLOGS, I am not sure if they can get multiple forums going on the first version, we’ll see. But I am sure it’s a goal of Matt’s so they can use it on WordPress.com

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

_ck_: Well, multiple BLOGS, I am not sure if they can get multiple forums going on the first version, we’ll see. But I am sure it’s a goal of Matt’s so they can use it on WordPress.com

I’m not sure how they couldn’t get it going, but I sure do think it’ll be on the list!

Even if it doesn’t make the first version, it’s going to be put in there not long after. At the end of the day, that’ll be a major ”selling” point when it comes to people using bbPress (IMHO!)

@_ck_

Thanks a lot :)

I am gonna ditch v1.0+ and start using 0.9 from now on. Will downgrade my other installations too.

_KB_
    Participant

@_kb_

Non-plugin bbPress development is going to continue until we have a perfect importer so people will be able to bring their content out of the legacy codebase.

Simply I love this statement!!

@ Matt Mullenweg, with this perfect importer, will we able to switch from other channels like vBulletin, phpbb, ip board? did you ever think about it? Any Plan?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar