Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Protected replies are shown in Search results

• tatiana_k
    Participant

@tatiana_k

I don’t know whether this is a common problem or just mine. But if you use password protected topics you better check your forums to be sure your secret discussions aren’t read by everyone.

When a person enters the password protected topic name in the Search field, it shows the list of replies without any restrictions. While the title says that the topic is protected, the content of the reply is not hidden at all, and anyone can read it.

I fixed it with adding post_password_required check to the loop-search-reply.php file, but I think this should be double rechecked somewhere in the plugin code.

I tried a few themes including twentythirteen, looks like the problem doesn’t depend on a theme.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

Yes.. i confirm, no control in search for password protect topics.. I think you can add check in content-search.php and no in loop…

If you open content-single-reply.php you have a check string… but not in search…

Please post here your modify in the file.. thanks…

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

This issue are also in replies created…

tatiana_k
    Participant

@tatiana_k

@freewpress,
    1. copy file loop-search-reply.php to your theme folder
    2. Open it and find <?php bbp_reply_content(); ?> in line 57 or near it.
    Change it with

<?php if ( !post_password_required(bbp_get_reply_topic_id()) ) {  bbp_reply_content();  }
    else {
    ?>
    <span class="your_message_class">Sorry, you can't read this reply.</span>
    <?php } ?>

Anyway, I hope the plugin authors check this issue.

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

@tatiana_k
    Thanks for your reply, your solution is ok and works fine…

Remember to add also in replies created… because it show protected replies..

I think this issue is because when you change an exixt topic in protected, you protect only first post and no alle replies associated…

tatiana_k
    Participant

@tatiana_k

Yes, I think that’s the point. I hope the developers will read this topic. I can fix it, but most people cannot…

To secure the replies you have to do the same steps with the file loop-single-reply.php (line 65 or near). Thanks for reminding, I would have missed this.

Trying to reproduce your issue and I cannot reproduce it accurately, if I search for a password protected topic I actually see both the topic and the reply in the search results, you should also see both.

I presume you are creating these (or protecting them after the fact) in the backend?
    (/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=topic), what I assume should be the case is that if you are manually protecting the topic you should manually protect the replies (/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=reply) also.

In short bbPress doesn’t support password protected forums, topics & replies officially, yet. There is ‘some’ support in the backend and partially in some of the templates but we haven’t got ‘all of it’ in bbPress yet.

You will also have issues when browsing the topics via eg http://example.com/topics/ and not see the actual topics list. There are probably a few more places where this will break also.

Create a ticket on trac to remind us to look at this for a future bbPress release.
    (It will also act as a subtle reminder to keep it in mind whilst other code is written)

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

Hi steph, yes, the problem born when you change manually in the beckend, topic in protected… All replies remaining opened and search and replies created, showin in public…

With this solution made by tatiana is possible to close reply content when base topic is password protected…

In effect in frontend not exixt possibility to change directily a topic in private or protected.. You must to edit in backend…

If in future is possible to have this function in frontend is perfect…

tatiana_k
    Participant

@tatiana_k

Thank you for your reply, Stephen Edgar! I created a ticked, and I hope I haven’t messed. 🙂

Yes, I create all protected topics manually but it’s impossible to manually protect every reply from every user.

When I enter the topic name in the search field, I can see only the replies for the protected topics and both the topic and the replies for common topics. I guess that excludes protected posts from the search results, but since the replies are not protected automatically they are visible to everyone.

@tatiana_k Are you using any custom templates for bbPress in your theme folder? (Possibly some ‘older’ Twenty Ten bbPress templates)

The issue is that I see both topics & replies and want to determine what is different between your setup and mine.

bbPress Trac Ticket #2453

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar